pull behind sweeper

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rrhonda, May 29, 2004.

1. rrhonda

rrhonda LawnSite Member

Hi Lawn people, I'm new to the business. I thought about the lawncare business for about 5 minutes , then ran an ad.(now I'm in business. I'm extreamely accident prone,( I've gotten cut with pruners twice, should have had stitches.Then, I got burnt pretty bad by a hot mower. All in a 2 month period! lol. Plus I'm highly alergic to bees. I should have gone into a sewing business or something. I love working outside though. Anyway I just wanted to know what you guys -girls , think about those pull behind lawn sweepers. Here in Western New York, people don't want their lawns cut til it's like at least 18" high . Don't ask me why . Then they want it raked , well I already know better then to rake it , but I thought if I had a good way to pick it up , maybe I could make some money doing that.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the pull behind sweepers are great to a certain point but to use it in what you decribe would take much too long. Stick a bagger on the mower after the first cut and go back over and bag. You will have a reduced size in waste as well because of the mower blades chopping up the grass compared to the sweeper.

Another thing you should be doing is talking these customers down in their height of being mowed. Try to get it down to maybe 6" to 8" instead before being mowed. If they still won't move then you need to charge them a descent price then.

By the way, welcome to the site.
  3. rrhonda

rrhonda LawnSite Member

Thanks tiedeman!