1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pull cord locked

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fishwelch, Apr 17, 2006.

1. fishwelch

fishwelch LawnSite Member

I have a Poulan featherlite weedeater that won't let me pull the cord at all. It's completely locked up. I thought maybe it was flooded, so I emptied all the gas/oil, but still no luck. HELP!!!
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Open dumpster lid, toss unit in, close dumpster lid, drive to Wal-Mart, spend $59.65 on a new FeatherLite trimmer.

You're welcome.
  3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

throw it as far as you can. this will not fix it, but will make you feel better. then buy a new proper trimmer.
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. if its poulan, its CRAP. I know from experience on this. had one myself, worst investment I ever made.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That was a easy fix....:laugh: :laugh: :drinkup:
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Remove the spark plug from cylinder, empty all gas if any inside the cylinder. Spray WD-40 into the cylinder, let sit for 2 minutes then take a hammer with screwdriver or punch and hit the top of the piston until if frees.

If this doesnt solve it, buy a new one. A poulan isnt worth replacing the jug&piston on.
  7. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

sometimes things get lost in the Translation... but thats what I read :)

Mike AKA Partsangel
  8. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Sounds like a waste of perfectly good WD-40
  9. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

If your mechaincaly inclined, make sure the recoil pully diden't break and let the starter rope get tangled on the inside. Even more common is the rope just jumps off the pully and jams up inside the cover. Other than that, if you have to pay to have it repaired it's probebly going to cost more in labor than the machine is worth.
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering, Even if he does get it freed up how long will it run before it locks up again. ?