1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pull cord staying pulled out... won't retract

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sancho_man_orlando, May 28, 2008.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I have an echo back pack blower that starting the other day would not retract the cord once pulled.

I took the housing apart and had this long spring that was a pain in the rear... ended up calling the local mower shop and they sold me a new housing unit and it looked simple to install.

I installed it and it looks right. I went to start it and it sounded like a champ about to turn over... but after the 1st pull the cord stayed in the extended position again...

What do I need to do to get this thing to retract so I can have more than 1 pull?

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Chris you are obviously in newby mode with your blower

get used to it, it is the norm, be prepared and keep replacement parts with you every day

stuff happens, end of story
  3. sancho_man_orlando

Obviously you are the expert.

Why did you forget answering with something a little more useful like a suggestion on how to repair this thing.

Come on guru spread some mojo.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unlike the previous useless post, lets see if we can try and help you with your problem. Very rare that a new recoil would fail so soon unless it was installed incorrectly or if something is binding the spool once installed. If you remove the new recoil from the blower is the rope still staying out or does it pull back in?
  5. sancho_man_orlando

It recoils very quickly.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Then you definitely have something binding, First lets make sure you were sold the correct recoil can you post your model # and the serial # that will be located on the engine case usually a black and white sticker and if you have the item# for the recoil assembly you were sold. I can check to see if you have the correct part.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just on a side note I would test the old one also, then if that one still works you at least have a working spare... Which, that's real handy, especially since you can rebuild them for less than a new one costs, the trick is if you have a working spare you can swap them whole then rebuild later.