pull cord

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hole in one lco, Mar 14, 2004.

1. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you pull at least 1 pull cord out a year?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

last year we had a record, 5 pull cords. 2 times on one mower. I was pulling it too hard we found out.

2 times on the 48"
    1 time on the 32"
    1 time on the trimmer
    1 time on the snow blower

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Oh man. Had never, until I was behind an apart. complex, long way away from my truck, and no tools (to speak of) with me. Had to use a nickle and a 1/2" wrench (or a penny and a 7/16 something like that) Overcome adapt and improvise!

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure like the newer equipment. Lots easier to change the rope as compared to 25 years ago.

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Does the rope seem alot "cheaper" these days? I now it didn't take too long to break on this eXmark, but I've had alot older equip. that has yet to break. Seems too small a diameter. (I changed mine to a heavier one as soon as could)

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

1 last year and 1 so far this year, maybe i got my 1 out of the way for this year

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Helpful hints: First, on all larger four stroke equipment, take out the slack till you feel the compression, then recoil & give a firm pull. Second, on two stroke equipment, use appropriate primers and chokes along w/ quick short pulls to start. Thirdly and most importantly, check all pull ropes regularly for fraying and replace when noticed.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Bob,... exactly what I was going to say! lol
    Another thing, is when you start the equipment, don't just "let go" of the rope, and let it snap back in.