Pull out a tree with a walk behind?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dependable Lawncare, May 7, 2003.

1. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

Ok, this was suggested to me by someone who's opinion I don't necessarily trust so help me out. Is it safe/ possible to take down a small tree or shrub with a walk behind? I'm talking about a trunk maybe 3 inches in diameter. I have a 3 month old Exmark 36 Kaw 15 hp hydro. Not wild about doing something that could damage it. Anybody done this? If so please explain. Thanks.

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

shovel.Break a handle $15.00.Break you walk behind???

3. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets just say my V8 tore up most of my "putting green" :D

I think the answer is pretty obvious to this. trees have a tap root extending down AT LEAST 3/4 of the trunk height from ground level. What you need to do it effectively is something that has a larger mass and weight.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Not enough power. I wouldn't try it with my WB! I have, however, used my ATV to pull out shrubs. Of course, I have used my FORD to pull out trees and stumps,no problem.

5. Dependable Lawncare

There is always that......

6. Dependable Lawncare

Hey I just thought of something? I don't have a Ford, do you think my Chevy would do?

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Any truck should work but if you have 4 wheel drive it's better. First dig around it and loosen some roots with an axe or something and then hook a chain up to the truck and put the truck in 4 wheel drive if you have it and pull. Good luck.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Hmm:rolleyes: maybe:D

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You will want to be very careful to not jerk the chain/rope/tow strap too hard. I hear bumpers can fly off and frames can break.

I always found a Ford better suited to the purpose of pulling shrubs out.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Actually, Ive found Ford just to be overall better suited...for whatever.:D Ok, Ok,, I'll stay on topic, I just couldn't resist.