Pull plows

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Yard, Feb 1, 2000.

1. Yard

Yard LawnSite Member

Just wondering what everyone's feelings are on pull plows. I do mostly residential driveways and as all of you know back blading with a front plow just packs the snow down. A pull plow seems the way to go but I don't really know much about them.I very rarely see any around here. <br>Who makes a good one and what do they cost? How do they mount (3/4 ton truck) and are they hard to put on and remove? Any advice is very much appreciated!

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have two pull plows, one daniels brand and one i built myself. They both come off very easily, acutally the one i built is easier to remove than the daniels. Anyways they work great, on storms say less than 4&quot; you can clear to the tar on the first pass. If there is like 6&quot; you will need to make two passes. They work very well for driveways, and i plan on building one or two more this summer. They are not that hard to build, and will save a lot of time. The biggest problem i had with mine, was getting the drivers used to them. You will find that with a pull plow your &quot;plowing style&quot; will change a lot. Also the type of snow will be the biggest factor in the amount of passes needed to clear the driveway.<p>Geoff<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

We were going tp buy a pull plow for some loading docks that we service, however we have found that the urethane edges that we are running now do a great job of cleaning in reverse. So we have decided instead to get more ice control equip, since the trucks wont be tied up with a plow on the back.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

has any one seen or tried a snowman pull plow. it looks like lifts a lot higher than a danels and also has full trip

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

tru cut,<p>I've seen/used the snowman snowplows. They make 3 models, one which you can use with a salt spreader, which would be nice for some guys.<p>Buy a snowman because it lifts high, don't buy one for the tripping ability.<p>Making a rear plow trip is worthless.

6. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Lazer,<p>Why is a rear plow thats trips worthless??<p>Dave

7. ICky

ICky LawnSite Member

Dave<br>Thank you<br>I was about to ask the same question<p>ICky

8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The plow may be fine, but the trip feature is worthless:<p>1.) You don't need it. <br>You're not going fast with the rear plow down. You aren't going to strike any curbs or large obstructions. The cutter edge faces straight down or slightly backwards that skips over small obstructions like man-hole covers, etc. The rear plow gets it's ability to clean from downpressure, not from cutter-edge angle like the front plow.<p>2.) It doesn't work anyway.<br>Most pull plows have side plates that allow you to carry snow. The plow won't trip with these side plates touching the ground. Snowman gets around this by having the sides go part of the way down and rubber the rest of the way. This leads to snow not being very well carried.<p>3.) They increase maintenance.<br>You have another pivot point and 4 springs to adjust.<p>4.) The design adds weight without strength.<br>The plow arms must come over the top and down the back of the plow. These arms are very long and must needs be made of heavy steel. They're way longer, heavier and not as strong as arms that connect to the front of the plow. Besides most significant damage that comes to the rear plow is from guys backing into things, which the springs wouldn't help anyway.<p>I've plowed with rear plows for 20+ years. We had a local manufacturer that used to build spring trip rear plows for a few years, they were good plows but the spring system was worthless.<p>I like the Snowman snowplow, but the spring trip design feature is for sales purposes only.

9. Yard

Yard LawnSite Member

Geoff, How did you build your pull plow? Was it worth doing time and money wise? Thanks!

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok This is where Lazer and I will get into an argument.<p>Lazer's Pull plows replace the truck bumper with a bumper/plow mount.<p>My Pull plow's connect to the trailer hitch. <br>I had a lot of the parts for my plow. That was why i built it, and i will build another. I think it was worth the time to build it and i will give you an estamated cost.<p>Parts Mine Yours<br>Pump Had $ 450<br>Ram 100 100<br>Hose 50 $ 70<br>Battery Cable 200 $ 100<br>and wire <br>Metal Had $ 100<br>Cutting edge $ 30 $ depends on plow <br>7.5 Feet<br>Paint ect $ 50 $ 50<br>Clearance lights $ 50 $ 50<br>and option i added<br>worth every $<p>Total Cost: $ 480 $ 920<p>This is materials cost only. If you want more info let me know. I used an old meyer E 47 pump, and used the angle funtions to power the ram. So i had to run battery cable all the way from the front to the back of the truck. Depending on your pump will increase or decrease the cost. If you mount the pump in the middle of the truck your hose cost will be more. <p>Feel free to ask anymore questions you want.<p>Geoff