1. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

those of you that have a large residential route do you use pull plows to help offset time ? thinking of expanding into this area but most drives in the area are not push backs.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull plows are the only way to go with residential.

Tremendous increase in productivity.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a SnoWay, so I just use the Down-Pressure to back drag. I have a mixed account list though, about half of them are push-backs, and the other half are back-drags or parking lots. So buying a pull-plow probably wouldn't be the best choice for me. But, I have heard that they work great, and do save quite a bit of time.

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

FWIW
    When back dragging with my alternative material cutting edge, I have really good results. Almost as good as a back drag plow. I spoke with a customer I sold one to in Minnisota, and one of the benifits of the new edge that he likes is its ability to back drag. So one option maybe to try one of these, instead of buying a 3k rear plow.
    Dino

5. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I case your wondering Dino is talking about urethane,and he can get you one.Just thought I 'd help out topic is far more tense than It sould be.

Dino I like that "alternative material",but thats alot more to write,and if you can spent 300 to save 3000 I say Yahoo go for it.

Oh a by the way for you Boss owners they are now available with locking cylinders now so they can backdrag with best of them.

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Gee I wonder why boss has a retro kit available for their plows?????
    Could it be WESTERN/FISHER kicked their but when they came out with their v plow?
    AHHHHHHHH MAYBE

7. Ed Altheide

Ed Altheide LawnSite Member
    from IA

Hello again .... by adding a pull plow to your current investment of $20,000 or $35,000 you can double to triple your productivity with a $2,500 Snowman pull plow. Another way to look at it, if I was plowing for $100 per hour, I just went to $200 to $300 per hour(without investing in another truck or driver). Money well spent.

In addition to the productivity increase, with pull plow down pressure you can move deep snow in a single pass, and scrape the surface cleaner. No front plow and/or front plow attachment alone will be near as effective. They might work on 2" but a Snowman pull plow will work in deep snow or high drifts because of the Snowman high lift design.

Ed
    1-888-766-6267
    http://www.snowmansnowplow.com

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Plowking35,

Just trying to understand your back draging comment with your cutting edge.

Are you saying that the blade does not ride up on the snow as quickly?

I am just curious how the cutting edge can increase the back draging use on your plow since this is something I wish to increase on the effective use on mine.

Not being a smarty, really looking for info that might help me with my plowing.

9. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Let me get this straight Dino are saying that Boss is copying Western and Fisher,thats a live one, seems to me that Western had to quit making their V plow because they basicly copied Boss' and Boss won a patent infringement law suit.Never said boss was perfect, companies are always improving their product based on what their competetors are doing, Western just tried to steal the whole product.As for me not one of my eight Boss' have the new cylinders,don't need them I have tractors specificly for draging spaces and apt garage doors.And if Western and Fisher kicked Boss' butt when they came out with their V plow its because they had a customer base already buying their junk,back when straight blades was basicly the only blade available I used mostly the heavy Northman plows,but I did have one western and one meyer, and they should have been sold with a complementary welder.Boss on the other hand built their customer base basicly from scratch trough durability and innovation not NAME and theft.

10. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i actually already bought a pull plow ed(70+sc,wings) and started to secound guess my self and was unsure if i should load up on some residential accts, i mostly do commercial plowing but see many companies (thanks to sima) that do excellent in a homeowner market
    saw one guy last year running around with one on and it looked good,up close the snow man plow seems well built
    but was curious how many people have used them extensively fir the same purpose i will use it for