pull rope blunders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 8, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have ripped three pull ropes on our walk behinds in the past 2 weeks. The one hydro is only 1 1/2 weeks old and it just happened on Wednesday.

Is there anything heavy duty other than rope that I can use for they don't snap all the time????

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Surely you are doing something wrong or the Automatic Compression Release is malfunctioning. I've only ever broke a rope once or twice and that was old and rotted out. However I suppose you could try cable, you can get it at a hardware store cut to length.

3. tiedeman

from earth

the only thing that we are doing wrong is pumping iron and taking steriods and creatine:D

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds to me like they are being pulled all the way out to the end when they are being started. This is a BIG no-no. So is just letting go of them and allowing them to just snap back in. Pull lightly a short stroke of two, until you feel the compression, then pull. Just don't allow your guys to yank it all the way out to the end. I see peole do this all the time, especially with smaller equipment, and it drives me nuts.:blob4:

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

you also have to make sure that you are not yanking them at high rates of speed or many pulls per min.

like on two cycles, you have to pull them gently so they dont snap

6. tiedeman

from earth

I know that two of them have snapped from one guy, I guess that maybe I will have to take a look at what he is doing

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Also, make sure you aren't pulling them against the "grain" so to speak. If you are pulling them anyway but straight out of the hole, i.e. rubbing against the sides, it will wear considerably faster.

8. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I have an old Ex Mark 48 , with a 12.5 Kawa ,Automatic Compression Release . Sometimes when I pull the cord , the engine will fire but going the other way I think , because it will rip the cord out of my hand and slam the handle back into the little hole snapping the rope . This doesn't happen all the time but maybe once or twice a month . This engine is about 6 yrs old and will start 1st pull every time. Anyone know of any reasons why this would do this . I bought the machine brand new and it has been doing it ever-since I can remember . Thanks Chris

9. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Any answers

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have had a similar experience, although not with a mower. I have a Kawasaki atv (and it starts very easily after ALL my abuse throught the years). Of course it is electric start, but it also has a back-up recoil starter rope in case you get out in the middle of nowhere and loose the battery. Anyhow, to make it easier, it has a compression release lever near the spark plug. If you use it, the rope pulls easily and the engine starts right up. If you don't use the release lever, you can still start the engine but its like trying to yank a 70lb. dumbell off the rack and when the engine catches, its like that dumbell is suddenly halted by a chain. I once pulled my forearm muscles very badly from not using the release lever while my starter was out. My point, be sure your auto-compression release valve is working, this could be what's causing it to yank back on you.