Pull tree out from front or rear of truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zz4guy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to be pulling some rather large shrubs out of the ground this spring. Probably a half ton a piece. About 5' x 10' x 5' high. They're very overgrown and ugly.

I plan on saturating the ground and throwing a log chain around each one and pulling with 4WD Low. I've got a K2500. Does it make more sense to pull from the front tow hooks or the rear trailer hitch assembly?

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

Pull forward, not reverse. Your tranny takes 3x more pressure to go in reverse than it does forwad. 4 low, 1st gear, forward. If this doesn't do it then it's probably not going to cut the cake.

3. climber338

climber338 LawnSite Member

if your going to pull them out do it from your hitch. never do it from the front. I would dig them out on opposite side in which your pulling and then get about 4-5 feet of slack in the chain. 4low 1st gear and floor it. they should just pop out if you do that. put a heavy towel on the chain just to make sure that the chain doesn't go flying into your back window if it breaks.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i would also dig them a bit before attempting to pull just like stated above^^

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

From what I hear your trans would be in danger of breaking the housing for reverse. They can break just by spinning on snow and then catching on pavement. I would not do that.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Save your self some head aches and get a quote from someone with a small excavator. They can pop them out and load them on you truck a lot faster than you can pull one out with your truck. Plus it will look more professional.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Shrubs can be really hard to pull like that without some digging. I usually cut them down with a chain saw first and do some digging and only use my truck if I have to. I would never get a running start on a slack chain like someone suggested though...I just give a good steady pull, or you could end up on America's Funniest Home Videos.

8. Vogel-Landscaping

Vogel-Landscaping LawnSite Member

we dig them out first and pull them out with our f250. if the tree is tall trim it down as long as its not too large where you need a tree guy. dig some soil out and they should pop right out!

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you guys ever tried this trick? It works like a charm... is way cleaner than a straight pull... and is MUCHO easier on the truck.

Chain or strap the root system. Place a tire and wheel(or just a wheel) in front of the tree to be pulled and put the chain(strap) over the tire-wheel then hook it to the rear of your truck. Pull, while keeping the strap on the wheel until the slack is out and check that the wheel is straight. It'll pop right up out of the ground with almost no effort. Roots hold side to side forces... But they are not meant to keep a tree from being pulled up. With this method, you can pull HUGE roots out with a truck... And decently sized shrubs, trees, whatever with a ztr.

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

we use ths method to pull fence post out