Pull trigger on USED TORO 22189?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rolling18, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rolling18

rolling18 LawnSite Member

Good evening!
    need to get some thoughts on buying a USED TORO 22189
    (Kawasaki KAI) and BBC
    hee's wanting between 350 and 420 ea.

Landscape co. upgrading their "fleet" to new Exmarks.
    nothing wrong with them maintained ect. just a time/ upgrade program

Wondering what you think of this mower?
    what should I look for in a couple used?
    is it such a "good" deal I should buy more and re-sell them?

thanks to the people who "KNOW" heh.
    M

mowers.jpg

2. nickslawnltd

nickslawnltd LawnSite Member

There solid mowers and that seems like a pretty good price to me if they seem like there in decent shape. The only thing I'd make sure is the were the height adjusters on the rear wheels is still tight and hast worn the deck out but they may not have enough use in them for that.

Again at that money if there in decent shape I don't see you going wrong

3. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn LawnSite Member

^I agree!
    I have 4 of those mowers myself (newer models, with that engine) and they are amazing. They are simple to use, easy to train on, fuel sippers, and overpowered for their size.

For that price, wow. With what Nick said, also check the pull starter. Also be sure to try all 3 gears on the self-propelled. Wouldn't to replace that gearbox.

4. banjoman

banjoman LawnSite Member

You lucky dog, I wish I lived close by. Id love to have 2 of them.

5. rolling18

great advice!
    I'll be sure to do ALL the things you people suggest!
    i may get 2 or 3 (how ever many can fin in my wagon! lol

maybe I should take my old deuce and buy the lot!.. lol
    its almot an 8hr drive so I want to make it count!

6. Leland Lawn

Hahaha that would be awesome! I can say you wouldn't have a backup mower at that point. Also you could make the one in the worst condition a parts mower. I'd love to have one of those around... I always seem to find buyers for my old toros, so they get taken away quickly.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Keep in mind the handles dont fold at all. Not sure what you mean by wagon, but could be a PITA to get them in something with a roof thats too low. You can partially disassemble the handles to sorta fold a bit but its going to require tools.

8. rolling18

Well guys I bought it!
    not the greatest shape appearance wise (as I expected) but got it for $300:rolleyes: and it will keep my little 8000sq. ft "lawn" cut

I checked out all the different points people suggested and they seemed fair to good.
    trans. pulled back with only slight resistance, regular professional maintenance and repairs.
    have a folder with everything documented including winterizations from 07'
    (he had similar records folder for each of his power equipment)

there are a few plastic parts missing tho.. and im trying to locate them (for REASONABLE cost)
    rear fold up door covering grass output shute
    top metal cooling cover (cosmetics)
    muffler guard (cosmetics)
    front wheels (cosmetics)

needs a new gear speed cable (included) but trying to figure how to instal it!! cant figure how to route the cable!! (but yet all gears work well.)

thanks for all help cant wait to give it the try!!

9. Leland Lawn

Is the gear speed cable to one that goes from the control bar to the side of the gearbox?
    If that's the case it isn't hard to install. Just down the left side of the handle bar to the gearbox, under that plastic shield (right where the blade clutch cable goes) then connect it to the gearbox. All it does it tip the gearbox back in order to tighten up the belt and spin the pulley on top.

10. rolling18

Correct, you are speaking of the "engagement" cable..
    The one I am referring to is on the right side labeled N 1 2 3. the cable goes down the Right side but cant see where it would be routed to the little speed lever w/o getting in way of the bag :dizzy: