Pulled over by DOT this week

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SangerLawn, Jul 24, 2009.

1. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

I got pulled over by D.O.T. earlier this week. After his inspection I got to talking to him. He told me that his captain passed down orders that any and all lawn trucks that appear like they are trying to make money need pulled over and inspected. The reason for this he said was everyone seems to be trying to break in that lawn care business without paying taxes on income and not even trying to obey the laws set forth for a commercial vehicle. This officer said he alone had 3 lawn care trucks and trailers towed in the last 2 weeks.

If you are not legal or have no idea what it takes to become legal I strongly recommend contacting your local state trooper office and speak personally to a D.O.T. officer. Although I passed the inspection it still costed me nearly an hour of sitting on the side of the road. It would have been 10 xs as bad if I wasn’t legal and had my equipment towed.

Here are my thoughts

With the above said, personally I am glad to see they are doing this. I really don’t care who tries to start a lawn care business and I really do hope the ones who try succeed. I will however say I hope the low ballers get there stuff towed and forced to pay fines. In my personal opinion if we have to pay out all kinds of money to stay legal and pay taxes on our income I feel everyone should. Maybe they will start to raise there rates back to where they should be.

What is everyone else’s opinion? :confused:

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Eh, I'm kinda iffy on this.

On one hand, hopefully it does eliminate the scrubs.

On the other hand, it's a pain, and it's expensive, and it costs those who don't know what they're doing a lot of money.

3. Donovan

Donovan LawnSite Member

i called them and they told me as long as your income is below 5500$ you dont have to pay taxes. i iam not insured because i am 16 and cant afford it right now. i hope do have a enough cash flow by next summer though so i can though. it is something im truly striving for.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

so what are you worried about?

5. SangerLawn

from indiana

i hate to laugh but...haha hehe haha....

You better contact an accountant. The true number is $500.00 but that is in personal wages not as a business. As a business you must turn in every dime you make.The insurance thing I can understand but you really need to try and get some. If you cant afford insurance your really going to be screwed if you hit a a/c unit, window, car, truck, ect, or worse…..a person. Not to mention, according to the D.O.T. regulations, if you are transporting gas as a business, it is law to have at least 1 million dollars in bussiness insurance incase of an accident.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Around here in my area, the minimum amount of income required to obtain a business license from the county is $ 3,000 per year ... if you only do this part time and make less than that, you don't need a business license ... however, you do still have to report it as income !!

7. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

the capt. probably has a lawn service and want to eliminate some of the competition

8. SangerLawn

from indiana

Many states do not require a business license for lawn care so I do not know how much income is required for a business license. But you are right, all income has to be reportedÂ….sorry if I miss led. This state does not require a business license however a DBA or LLC, insurance, tax id, insurance, and a few other things are required. That does not include all the D.O.T. stuff.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not worried about anything yet because I don't run a trailer yet.

I just mean that, around here, some townships require 2 straps for every piece of equipment on a trailer, while others only require one strap. Little stuff like that. It's just an expensive way to learn a lesson.

I've had guys tell me that if you get pulled over, expect to be fined, no matter what. They will find something wrong. It depends on the officer whether you are in regulation or not.

10. SEMI-RETIRED

SEMI-RETIRED LawnSite Member

AMEN..
    Sounds a little fishy to me, what about all the ice cream trucks with
    no health stickers, the taco wagons, etc, etc, etc..
    What is it their business what somebody makes, are they the IRS.???
    Seems like discrimination to me, they would have a field day down here LOL..

Bob..