Pulled over by MCE, they don't mess around

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bigjeeping, Jul 5, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Motor Carrier Enforcement got me today... He never did say EXACTLY what made him pull me over. But once he had a look at my truck/trailer he found half a dozen things to ticket me for.

Not having a bolt through the trailer's ball latch (securing it from popping open)
    Not having my mower's strapped in (I know I know, I was driving like 1000 ft)
    Not having commercial plates, therefore an Illegal plate.
    Not having a Cheuffer's License.
    One of my trailer lights was broken.

These are misdeamenor charges which go on your driving record (points against you) and your criminal record.

THANKFULLY he wrote the ticket to my business (no points, no criminal) and only ticketed me for 2 things.

Then he impounded my truck (illegal plates) AND trailer (tail light out). I had to unload all of my equipment and wait for my other truck to come get us.
    So before I can get my truck/trailer back I have to get the commercial plate, cheuffer's license and fix the trailer light. PFfffffffffffffffffffffffffff :cry:

ANYWAY. what really pissed me off was I was driving my F-250 and pulling a 12' single axle 3500# trailer.

He says that to drive this truck/trailer combo I need commercial plates and a cheuffer's license because the total weight is above 10,000 something pounds. I told him I didn't believe that and he pulled out a book and showed me.

How can this be????? In michigan you need commericial plates and a cheuffer's license to pull a trailer with your F-250 for business????????

I still don't believe it, anyone got anything that says otherwise?

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for letting me know, I now will not get an F-250 and stay with 150

3. bigjeeping

ok, well I found out that YES you do need a chuaffer's endorsement in this case:

With a gross vehicle weight (GVW), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), gross combination weight (GCW), or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

but im still looking into if I need commercial plates or not, if anyone finds anything let me know

4. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. I guess we all know now how important commercial plates are (at least in MI), although I bet 90% of LCO's do not have commercial plates on their pickups.

It has been talked about before here and I have inquired about it at the sec of state (I'll see if I can find a link) and yes, if your GVWR is over 10,000 (your F250 is what 8,800? and 3,500 for the trailer) and it is for commercial use then your need commercial plates to the tune about around $500 per year.

Add that expense to the growing overhead in this industry.

5. bigjeeping

Yes the F-250 is 8800.. so that plus 3500 for the trailer means im out of luck.
    I do have commercial plates on my f450, man they are expensive

6. Eclipse

What the GVWR of a 150. It is at least 6500 lbs isn't it? Then you will still technically need a commercial plate with a single 3500lbs axle trailer.

7. Eclipse

Sucks doesn't it. I think the cheapest commercial plate was just shy of $500. I don't remember exactly what it was but $49x comes to mind.

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah the DOT around here will do the same thing they check you over for anything and they need NO REASON at all to stop you. its saftey checks just like big rigs have to go through weigh stations they didnt do anything wrong but they just check you. also in pa we dont have anything called a chauffers license and commercial tags arent required becuase we dont have them and DOT has gotten us before but they do check for everything around here

9. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

yea i got pulled over by the st. clair shores police last year they gave me a warning told me that i needed commercial plates which i had no idea i needed them 490 bucks and there are so many jackass's out there that dont have them. If you have a truck that pulls a trailer and is used for commercial use no matter what business you are in you have to have a "weighted plate" **** i bet alot of lowballers would be goin out of business if they had to pop another 500

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Down here you almost never see them stop anything but a dump truck or tractor trailer...that said I did get stopped years ago while working for another LCO...yeah not fun, 45 minutes sitting in the 95 degree heat while they wrote up the numerous violations. In the end they still let me drive off at least...that would stink to get everything impounded...