Pulled over by MCE, they don't mess around

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bigjeeping, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful because not all states are the same. Here in Michigan we do need a US DOT number even if we never leave the state.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Correct. I went back and re-read my post and I can see how it reads that I'm infering all states, which I'm not.

The "or" right before my "like here in MN", should not be there.

The post that 'I' had quoted, what I highlighted, that was what I was making my point at.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Except that is changing. We will now be REQUIRED to have a DOT number here in Michigan.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The gross combined weight rating (gcwr) would be 23,200 lbs. The truck and trailer dont actually weight that much. Or am I missing something?

5. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

What is the difference betwen a regular plate and a commercial plate?

6. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I would contact your state DOT and see what is needed. Here in Indiana you have to have DOT numbers just like the Big Rigs, which means physicals, truck and trailer inspections, must carry reflective triangles in case you break down, must carry a fire extinguisher. We do not need commercial plates however, and we do not need a chauffeurs license unless we are over 16500combined GVW. Kinda sucks any guy can run up and down the street with his truck and trailer but if you are a business you get sucked into the extra cost and hassle. Like I said get on-line and search for your states dot and get in touch with them ,tell them what you are doing and they will tell you what you need to do.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Where is our new friend d&r lawncare? I haven't seen him on in a while, but HE would be the one ask at this time in this thread. It is always so cool to hear it from someone who is a direct authority, and this guy definitely knows his business. :)

8. Briarpatch Joe

Briarpatch Joe LawnSite Member

DOT weight (when you are pulled on the scale) IS THE WEIGHT ON THE VIN PLATE ie a 14,000 lb trailer is 14,000lbs no matter what you have on unless it's an overweight-then you can't be over 14,000
    A vin plate pick-up of 9200 and a 14,000lb trailer has a DOT GVW of 23200 lbs
    You don't have to tag it for that much if you don't need the weight. DOT regs are on the web under Department of Transportation
    (clear as mud?)

9. Briarpatch Joe

Briarpatch Joe LawnSite Member

Just like Stump's said---in Maryland, Del, Pa, and NJ--the states we work in---you need DOT numbers on your truck just like the big rigs----Reflectors, fire equip and all

10. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing but the price--- you get a sticker to place on it for the weight you declare. Its called an EGVW (Elected Gross Vehicle Weight) You dont need it unless your trucks empty weight is 8001 pounds or more. Regardless if you have a trailer or not. MICHIGAN LAW ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!