Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread. I'm lost. What does electric start have to do with speed? I presume "speed" means ground travel.

Getting rid of the electric starter and battery could save several pounds.

Since the phrase is "shear speed," and not "sheer speed," maybe I am being cut off from the issue, and I don't even know it. That could be why the issue is elusive.

2. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

Hey Guys, just bought the exmark commercial 30 and in tall, damp Kentucky and Rye it mulches really nice. Leaves noticeably less stragglers than my Honda 21" commercial.

Just a quick question, is it normal for the diff to lock only under full belt tension? I have to squeeze it to max speed in order for it to lock up.

Great machine, considering I'm coming off of the old school 33" Troy-Bilts and basically bought the machine 5 times with all the repairs.

Daniel
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Much faster to turn a key than pull start.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Especially in an enclosed trailer.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have both pull-start and electric-start machines. In the big scheme of things regarding productivity, I never considered the pull start an encumbrance. The saving of few seconds, over against the hour or so on the job, is way, way down the list of things needing to change to be more productive.

6. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

how have everyone's 30s been holding up lately? especially those who use them as primary mowers? haven't heard out of you guys in a few days. anymore tranny problems?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it is still heavy. It has saved sometime and seems to cut well. I have used the mulch and bag feature. Bag seems to work well and holds a fair amount. All my yards are regular weekly or 10 days so haven't used it for the really high stuff and probably never will. For whatever it is worth I run honda hrc216.

8. PremierT&L

PremierT&L LawnSite Member

Trannys went out on both of mine after a few weeks of moderate use. They've been in the shop for a week which is very disappointing. I love the way these mowers cut, but I'm worried about them having mechanical issues.

9. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pathetic. I wander if there's a certain serial number for the ones that keep going down.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

have heard reports that the factory that makes the transmissions made a run of them with the same problem. Some were used in the machines and others as parts. Once those are all used up, in theory the problem is solved. Time will tell.