Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I almost posted that also yesterday but said nah. My newest 2 lawn monkeys I won't let them use the 30", they are stuck to the 21's for another week or so. :laugh:

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Where I am at in Michigan, we go big for the most part. My mowers are a 66 Lazer and a 48 Grandstand. They stripe great. The customers like stripes. Now I need a smaller mower for inside gates. I only saw 1 pic of the stripes from this Exmark 30. Im not going with this mower because the stripes stink. Anybody got pics of good stripes from this mower?

3. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

would you mind breaking this formula down a bit sildoc? how many hrs do you use it per wk, which you are estimating it will amount to how many a yr?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawnsaspire

also, many have stated liking the exmark controls over the toro. why is this?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Bought this mower for 1700.00
    one gallon of gas costs 3.99( actually less by .40 cents today and hasn't fluctuated much from that but figure 3.99 is average for the next 3 years. Average day of mowing with this mower is right around 6 in a 10 hour day. Average a tank a day so one gallon give or take.
    average is 190-210 days of mowing, here at least.
    2 filters is 8 bucks year
    4 quarts of oil is 10 bucks year
    really didn't figure in blades or cost of sharpening as they all get sharpened at the same time and takes an hour every month well will when I can get some extras.
    break down.
    1700 mower
    2511 fuel
    24.00 oil filters
    30.00 oil
    20.00 misc grease
    200.00 sharpening blades
    misc parts 400.00
    total 4885.00 give or take
    Figure a modest 2500 hours in 3 years of use.
    4885/2500=1.95 per hour

Sell mower at end of 3 years for right around 800.00
    1.63 cents per hour.
    Have figured that the hours of use is pretty low for us. If it stands up like our 26 metro does then I am figuring the misc. parts over 4 x what we spend on our exmark 26 and I am figuring it costs about 75 a year to sharpen all of our blades(many many mowers) a year with our blade grinder, so over estimating there.

Now don't get me wrong this mower could sell for 1200 or 600 at the end of 3 years.
    when I calculated this it was a long day and mixed the numbers up. You caught me:hammerhead:.
    still at 1.63 per hour total costs at 3 years. would be less at 5 years and using modest hourly numbers, for us at least.
    Add labor at 10 bucks an hour and tax/ins your looking at 15-16 bucks an hour.
    For us we average 3-5 properties a hour at 4000sqft average with the 26. 3-7 per hour with the 30.
    Time trials with a regular 21 compared to the 26 was 1.269 - 1 thinking the 30 will push it to 1.39 -1 but need to do some time trials.

6. sildoc

For us using the exmark it is natural. More like most mowers. The toro you have to slide over and pull up. getting better at it but sometimes mis engaging the blades. Add a new guy and they will mow half a lawn before figuring out the blades aren't turning. :hammerhead:

7. lawnsaspire

thanks so much! i really appreciate your help. thinking about springing for one this wk. seems like a very efficient mower. did i understand you right that oil filters are 4 bucks each?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. lawnsaspire

also what are you using for oil? 4 quarts for ten bucks? thx

9. sildoc

We buy bulk oil filters and oil so it is about 1/3 of what you would buy off the shelf. That said there is plenty of play in the numbers that would get same results.
    The cool thing about Kawi engines is they all use the same filters.

10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

sildoc, you are my hero, someone who analyze more than me, not much more but more. When I throw numbers out about my equipment, my friends just shake their heads.