Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry if I made it sound like it went down as it didn't. I ended up using the 26 on a couple of lawns because they were so thick and I had to go so slow. It did alarm me how hot the spindles got. I still won't trade it off for anything, I just need to make sure to know when to park it to prolong it's life

2. kennymo81

kennymo81 LawnSite Member

I have an Exmark 30 that I am looking to trade for a 36. I'm a part time guy so the mower is not beat up. Everything is working excellent and has 2 extra blade sets. Just looking to increase productivity as I have some wide open areas. I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs.

3. kennymo81

kennymo81 LawnSite Member

4. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Np at all. hope the cable adjustment brought your exmark 30 speed back to normal. I have had to adjust both my drive gear cable(which is a snap) and the blade engagement cable (which is a bit harder to access, but not too bad) this year.

I have also found that its a good idea to pull that access cover off from time to time and clean up the debris in there. I remove the hatch cover, and the entire black belt cover first. Then lift the mower from the rear, and you can see the access area that the belts pass through. That area will collect lots of debris over time, so from time to time I recommend cleaning that junk out.

At the end of this year, Ill try to remember to post a Summary of the exmark 30 and my experiences with it over the course of the whole year, and include the quick fixes and things to watch for.

5. slickguy2100

slickguy2100 LawnSite Member

Well, I had my dealer put a mulch kit on order and I was pretty surprised when I checked it out. Unlike the larger machines, the mulch kit doesn't fully enclose each blade. It looked like it only added an inch or two to the baffle that's already built in at the front and back of the deck. The price for it was $100 and I guess looking at what it actually added to the mower, I'm not really sure there is a huge benefit as opposed to just using the plug. Nice thing with the plug is that you can switch the modes on the fly. I put the purchase on hold for now until someone sells me on it :)

6. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I don't own an exmark 30 but I wouldn't waste the money on the mulch kit. Also it cannot isolate each blade because they overlap each other, unlike larger walkbehinds that have offset blades.

7. rbljack

from Texas

I bought the mulch kit when I purchased the mower, but to be honest, I still haven't even installed it because I loose the ability to switch from bag to mulch on the fly. If we get to a point in the fall and the leaves don't mulch up real well, I may try and install it then...but for now it stays off. So...im not much help on selling it, but the jury is still out for me on whether or not I will need it at some point. I guess one could have TWO 30's....LOL one for mulching and one for bagging. Then you have a back up if using it as a primary mower (which I have done this year).

8. slickguy2100

slickguy2100 LawnSite Member

rbljack, it's nice to have the ability to switch up the cutting options on the fly. Curious, are you running into an issue with the buildup under the deck when you mulch?

9. rbljack

from Texas

Under some conditions, yes. Typically when its damp or wet, or real thick St Augustine. Ive noticed that I have to go over the yard with a blower to disperse clippings on the thick st Augustine yards, but this is still faster than bagging it.

On normal bermuda lawns and our typical dry weather, it doesnt clog up however.

The other thing Ive learned to watch for is this:

when you pull the mulch plug out to switch over to bagging, you have to look up in there to ensure that the opening isn't clogged. Sometimes on weedy or wet lawns, it will close off the chute completely. Only takes a minute to clean out though.

10. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I was initially interested in what the mulch kit would do but after hearing that I would lose the ability to switch between mowing methods I no longer have any interest.