1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

I've been trying for years to get heavily into mulching but haven't been able to because so many lawns still have to be bagged. Single blade systems just do not mulch well. The big walk behinds that I've seen need the side plate screwed in which takes time. The 30" with it's ease of switching between modes takes care of all that. I at this time can't see why somebody would want to limit it's ability by putting in a mulching baffle. Yes this comment is region specific. I have never mulched as much as I have this last year. I question the sanity of going over a lawn multiple times just to mulch when you can bag it and throw it in the truck and go

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a valid argument. I'm willing to experiment, for $66. Given that the blades are not completely sealed from each other, I'm curious about how much clipping transfer there will be. If it doesn't work out, I'll try the standard eXmark "Flow Control" baffle. I'm just trying things, since I can't deal with this mower windrowing and blowing clippings out from under the right side. Give me a few months, until the weather warms up and I'm mowing again.

3. vegandude

I've found that sometimes bagging with the side discharge chute open will cure the problem as will running the one pass with the wheel to the inside of the last pass(hard to explain)

4. ducnut

Nope. I understand.

I simply don't want to bag, if I can avoid it. I've got a couple properties that are WB-sized, but, can't use one on. And, I've got a bank the sod has been rutted by another LCO with a WB. The 30" was supposed to be the perfect solution. Not yet, but, working toward that.

5. vegandude

I've yet to master the learning curve-it keeps life interesting:laugh:

6. ducnut

If not expensive, too. :hammerhead:

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I really hate bagging and try to avoid it. I often find cutting just once with the higher lift TurfMaster blades [with my Toro TimeMaster] and bagging is often easier and faster than double cutting in mulch mode or worse triple cutting with my larger WB. It WILL NOT deliver the same manicured double cut of the larger WB’s but honestly I find it acceptable enough....especially towards the end of the day. :rolleyes:

8. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not switched back and forth, but about 1 month into the mowing season in 2013 I got the mulching kit and put it on. I did not remove it the entire year. My initial thought was that the kit didn't do anything. I really couldn't tell a difference. I fear it may make the mower bog down more without providing noticeable results. I may try starting 2014 without it and see if I notice a difference.

9. ducnut

Hey, hey, hey! You're not supposed to tell me that. I don't even have the stupid thing bolted in, yet. :laugh:

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

They really do mulch amazingly clean with just putting the plug in. Now if they would just build a higher horsepower engine that would fit on it... Something around 8 to 9 HP that fits in the same footprint would turn the machine from great to amazing, lol