1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize they didn't both use the same wheels! Obviously Exmarks are superior, albeit they are "made in China" they are well built.
  2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, so I think this is the thread I put the baffle pictures in.

For those who don't remember, I ordered the eXmark Commercial 30 mulch baffle to mount into my TimeMaster. I got that done, today.

This is the overall view.

There was interference, with one of the front wheel mount bolts.

A little grinder action took care of that.

The "tangs" definitely have a tighter radius to them than the travel radius of the blade.

This is the discharge opening, without the chute.

This is the discharge opening, with the chute. It's like they were made to work together.

I'm excited to experiment with this baffle setup. Now, that the blades are as compartmentalized as much as possible, this should make a difference in how much debris gets thrown to the right side. Hopefully, this will stop blowout and windrowing, on the right.
  3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

huh, interesting. I am surprised that the fit required any grinding, did they mention anything about that? so with that kit can you adjust the amount of clippings that is let out? (slightly closed, halfway, all the way) or does it move at all?

one other question, what blades will you be running with this?
  4. ducnut

I bolted this into a TimeMaster. The baffle is for an eXmark Commercial 30. They have a different wheel adjuster setup.

Nothing moves. The baffle is bolted in place and the discharge chute only fits one way.

I'm not sure. I have both sets of blades and will experiment, once spring gets here.
  5. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Sildoc if you were replacing your mowers out would you be buying the Exmark or Turfmasters as replacements?
  6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

ahhh... ok thanks for the info.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

If I were to put the Exmark and Toro side by side and told each guy to go mow that property they would go for the exmark every time.
    Now before we never used the toro bail system and it seems clumsy for every one to use.
  8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I really want to get my hands on an Exmark and compare it to the TimeMaster with personal pace which is crazy easy to use compared to my Ybravo which is prone to turf divots.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Those are great and useful pics!

Can that insertable chute arm that slides into the mowing deck cutting area every be hit by the blades if it were to become dislodged?

I'm wondering if this setup would actually enhance side-discharge~ability in ideal conditions? It appears it would speed up the discharge flow for possibly better clipping dispersal...but at the expense of clumping if wet/moist...?

Looking forward to your ongoing reviews. :drinkup:
  10. ducnut

Thank you. That was my intent.

Only if it were to break, or something. It's above the blade path and appears to "grab" clippings and direct them out. Despite how the picture shows the relation, there is no gap between the chute tab and baffle, so no clippings are going to be directed out, now. I'll grab an underside shot, later, to show their relation.

I'm not sure how much will discharge, if any. With the baffle and chute tab you mentioned blocking everything up top, I'm doubtful much will come out. Once the snow melts and the grass gets to going, I'll be sure to update.

Yeah, me too.

I'm wondering about changing the timing of the blades, as well. That could create a "pulsing" effect and may help/hurt airflow. I don't know, but, just thinking aloud. I'm planning on mulching as much as possible and this baffle is a start. I have a feeling I'll be ordering the "Flow Control" baffle, too. :laugh:
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014