Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

thanks roger...I was quickly able to find the diagrams for the exmark 30 and narrow down to the correct pulley. I may be going that route in the future....save myself labor costs and dealer headaches for sure.

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

After being told the transmission was redesigned I thought this was over and now my mower is in the shop for the 5th one. Not a happy camper.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The local dealer says the problem is with alignment and not the transmission per se. Sounds as if there may something else going on.

4. rbljack

from Texas

Well after waiting a significant amount of time for them to replace my transmission, it finally came out of the shop last week. Transmisson was covered under warranty which was good, I just wish it didn't take so long for the repair. Now for the joys of running a small business. After making the drive (around 175 to 200 miles roundtrip), I went to use the 30. It worked fine for about 10 passes, and then GET THIS...the blade engagement cable breaks.....ARRRRRRRRRRhhhhhhhhhhh. No way to anticipate this would happen, and I don't blame the dealer or fault the mower. It was just its time to fail.

SO...as I mentioned in last post, Im taking Rogers link, and will be ordering TWO blade Engagement cables (one will be back up), and I think I will also order a spare Drive cable while im at it.

:hammerhead:

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We had the blade cable break also. Called the dealer we bought it from (180 miles away) he warranted it and sent me a new one to put on. Yes a spare is now on hand since we have several of these mowers running.

6. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

Question of curiosity-about how many hours do you think you're at? I haven't had any major issues yet and I want to be ready when they crop up

7. SSantor

SSantor LawnSite Member

I have three exmark 30's and we had problems with the transmissions last year. This year we have not had any transmission problems. We had a few small problems with pins in the wheels breaking and we had to adjust the self propel and blade engagements a few times, but we have used them real had this year. We still love the mowers. We picked up a few extra lawns this year due to people liking the cut on them. I think as exmark makes some small changes to the 30's it will be a great machine. I have not found a perfect mower yet.

8. sildoc

I would say between the 750-1000 hour range. We broke both the blade and trans cable around those hours on the toro turfmaster and the blade engagement cable on the exmark 30.
    One thing the shop said was to zip tie the cables in at least 4 spots to keep them from vibrating so much, should cut down on breaking them as soon.

9. rbljack

from Texas

I don't think we have as many hours on ours.....the one I bought new (which had the transmission problems and now the blade engagement cable) has probably around 400 hours on it. The drive cable went out when it was fairly new though.

I recommend buying a spare set of cables, belts, blades, and air filters for these mowers if you are using them as primary mowers. I haven't changed the cable yet, but when it comes in, Ill post up the results of how fast and easy it is. It cant be too hard just from looking at it.

10. sildoc

Cable change takes about 15-20 minutes. Kind of a bugger to get back on due to the rubber retainers on clutch end. Also if you have small hands it helps.