1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pulled the trigger/ New Exmark 30 for me...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Mar 5, 2013.

1. vegandude

vegandude LawnSite Senior Member

your mower has about the same amount of hours on it as mine. i went over the one year mark with it on the 3rd of this month. i keep spares of almost everything but am starting to get paraniod about the cables so i guess i better get those also for benchstock. i like keeping a good benchstock as murphys law dictates that the less time you have, the more cr-p you break:laugh:

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep extra V-belts for all my mowers and an extra driveshaft for my Kombi in the trailer. Looks like I'll be adding the engagement cables, too. Since this mower has become my main machine, I need to have those.

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

One week later and my mower is back in the shop with drive issues. Dealer said he was going to replace the pulley on the motor to see if that helps. I still say my mower is a lemon.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you thought about contacting Exmark and asking for a replacement? Seems you are due one.

5. ProMo

Just got mower back and it is still not right. Now it squeals like a pig on slight inclines.

6. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Sounds like the belt is slipping. Try tightening the drive cable.

7. ProMo

They tightened the drive cable and replaced the belt I replaced two weeks earlier. The mower pulls fine once it gets going but a slight incline it struggles. I can hold the mower with one finger in dirt with no wheel spin in my opinion this is not a commercial piece of equipment.

8. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Guess it is time to contact Exmark Pr and see if they can get help. Hope it works out for you.

9. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

You had mentioned this trans feels the worst of all of them. I'm guessing it's faulty, right out of the box.

I think, you should verify their cable adjustment. Mine wouldn't climb anything, either, before tightening the drive cable. Then, my engagement cable needed adjustment, ~60hrs later, as the blades would only engage at the end of the bail travel. I feel, cable adjustment is going to be a frequent maintenance item.

On the steepest incline I have, the mower will start squawking, when the wheels can't spin. I can't tell if it's the drive belt or trans. Either way, the mower isn't happy and I can feel shuddering through the handle. I need to measure that slope, as it's an abnormal place to have this mower.

10. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry you his are going through this. I have the turf master and so far so good. Had to adjust the cable day one to get the hill climb. This is a 2014 model. Only 12 hours though.
    Posted via Mobile Device