Pulley and Fan

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by planecrazypilot, May 22, 2013.

1. planecrazypilot

planecrazypilot LawnSite Member

Ok I have a hustler Fastrak 42" The blades on the little fans on the trannys (I guess for cooling) are breaking and our dealer sold us the kits that contain the new fans and pulleys. My problem is removing the nut from the old pulley/fan combination won't come off. I've applied penetrating oil, but of course the complete assembly moves. How does one remove these? Thanks in advance for any help..

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a impact wrench. 3/8 drive air gun would zip those nuts off in a flash. Maybe the field has options, we'll let them chime in.

Brian O

3. planecrazypilot

Brian, I did try that, but it spins the pulley and the shaft too. I'm thinking about getting the vise grips out to the pulley and try again..

4. hustlermidwest

Use the belt to give you some resistance when gunning the nut. Vise grips are too aggressive if they slip.

5. planecrazypilot

The belt is unfortunately broke and since I was replacing it, I figured I'd do the pulleys and fans at the same time.. I
    ll try and fashion some sorta something around it to help hold it..

Thanks

6. hustlermidwest

Try a towel and apply downward pressure and hold the pulley in place prior to pulling the trigger. Don't need a whole lot of torque. Sometime being gentle works the best. Let the hammer action of the gun do the work. You should be able to hold the fan in place when gunning it.

Brian O

7. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

If the fan is broke and the pulley is fine, just replace the fan! Put the new pulleys on a shelf somewhere. The fans are three 10mm head bolts, takes just a few minutes.