pulley protector

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ericg, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Hello, does anyone know where to purchase a tool called the Pac-Man Pulley Protector? It is 6.5" diameter cast iron and is used to pull pulleys off without distortion.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

are you just talking about a bolt on pulley puller?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. khouse

yes it looks good. i think i'll make one out of some 1/2 steel plate i have.

5. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you for providing me with the website. I am going to order it tomorrow.

6. Restrorob

Khouse,
    Thats not just flat plate, It has a oval concave to it so when inserted on a pulley the concave touches at the pulley center to prevent the 'V' part of the pulley from being crushed flat while removing with a fingered style puller.

I seen one many moons ago but never knew a name or what to call it to find one.

7. khouse

It didn't look like it had much of a curve to it. It may not work on some pulleys - but I like the idea. Maybe I'll make a couple of small diameter round plates to slide on first before I use the large plate. I already have 1/2 steel so I won't be out anything but time. I probably won't even make it until I need it anyway.

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Guys...DONT BOTHER. We got one probably a year or so ago. I think from Oregon. Anyway its too thick to be useful in any situation we have found yet. It will not fit between the pulley and whatever the pulley is mounted on...wether it be an engine or a spindle that is mounted on a deck. Everytime we have a stubburn pulley we pull it out and see if it will work...never has, doubt it ever will.

WASTE OF MONEY.

9. Restrorob

Is the slot in the center wide enough to slide onto the bottom pulley of a engine stack pulley ? That is my interest in this item.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

It may not be...thats another thing. The slot is not big enough for alot of things. I will measure it tommorrow when I go in...