1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pulley ratios on pump

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by horselogger, Jul 6, 2005.

1. horselogger

horselogger LawnSite Member

I am trying to hook up a pump for irrigation. The pump seems to be what I need but the gas motor is a Honda GX240 with a 1:6 reduction. It normally is supposed to function at a maximum of 3900 rpms but with the reduction it is a much lower rpm. I am trying to use it to run a centrifigul pump that requires 3200rpm. I am not sure how to figure out what size pulley I should put on the motor to bring the rpms back up to the optimal number. Can you help me? Thank you
  2. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Just use the ratio of the diameters. If it runs at 3900 with 1/6 reduction, than the output is running at 650 RPM. If you want to bump it back to 3200 (with the reducer in place), you need 3200/650 for the pulley ratio, i.e. ~5:1 speed increaser.

Or, just get rid of the slow side of the reducer and put a pulley on that is 3200/3900 the size of the motor pulley (about 82%), i.e. if you had an 8" pulley on the motor, put a 6.5" pulley on the pump. And of course you want to underspeed the pump, not overspeed it.

In short, the belts don't matter - its strictly the pulley diameter.
  3. horselogger

horselogger LawnSite Member

I guess I got some of the numbers wrong as I look at Honda's website and see that they calculate the reduction to equal 420 rpm for some reason. 3900 rpm was what they quote for the max without a load and 3600 is the regular rpm that is expected I guess).

Anyway, I see what you mean, I think. The pulley coming from the reducer is 2" so to raise the rpm by 5 or 6 I need to multiply that number by the 2" which is the 1 in the 1:5 ratio and that would give me a 10 " pulley--12" if I want to increase it by 6. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help! :)