Pulleys and deck heat?

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by UGA, Sep 3, 2003.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Surfer w/ 22hp Kohler with only about 400 hours on it. Yesterday I was going along and noticed an unfamiliar noise coming from under the deck. Upon inspecting closer (had to use gloves to pull the deck cover off it was so HOT) I found that my inside (trim side) pulley had stripped its teeth I think because the last time I sharpened the blades I caught the thread wrong on the blade bolt slightly stripping it at the top of the bolt but enough to cause the bolt not to be in quite right. Anyway I am replacing the pulley, blade bolt, and nut but was wondering why it is so damn HOT underneath my deck? This seems to be fairly common for my mower but especailly when cutting thick stuff. I asked my dealer and he said you aren't supposed to grease anything under there but I thought maybe some grease might help between the pulley and where it rests on top of the spindle housing. Suggestions?

2. UGA

here but I will say that I replaced the pulley, blade bolt and nut and it SEEMS to be doing OK but I'm gonna give it a week and take a closer look.

3. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

UGA

I’m very sorry for the slow response. There’s no excuse other than I have a very heavy travel schedule. The heat issue you speak about is common. Keep in mind; the belts do have a tendency to get hot, which in return generate a tremendous amount of heat. Don’t let this bother you. Regarding the stripped teeth on your pulley, it’s important to ensure the blade bolt is set at the proper torque. If not, this will allow the pulley to shimmy up and down stripping it out. Your dealer is correct in saying that no grease is necessary. To show how much I really care about your business, ask your dealer to file a warranty claim using my name on it and I will pay him or her the full price you paid for the new pulley. Ask your dealer to apply a credit on account for you for the amount of the pulley.

By the way, effective 1 Sept. Great Dane introduced a two-year limited warranty on the purchase of all new Great Dane products. Ask your dealer for more details.

Thank you for your business!

John Joensen
    Sales and Marketing Manager
    Great Dane Power Equipment

4. UGA

Hey John,
    Thanks for the reply but I bought the part through JThomas (much cheaper); I have been using basic tools (ratchet) to take my blades off for sharpening as well as putting them back on and I think that scenario you decribed earlier is exactly what happened. I have been looking to get a compressor and impact wrench but just haven't done it yet. Sounds like I will need to sooner than later. So do you know at what ft. lb. of torque they are supposed to be installed?

5. John Joensen

UGA

The torque spec for the blade bolt is 65 ft. lb. and the the Spindle nut is 45 ft. lb.

Regards,

John

6. UGA

Thanks!!!

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Dose that new warenty cover blades?

8. John Joensen

Phishook, Items subject to wear such as blades and belts are not covered under our new warranty however, and if they were defective they would be. Please visit your local GD dealer to receive a copy of our new warranty statement.

JMJ