Pulling 1/2" plugs!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Sep 12, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Today while aeravating two lawns the lawns on the side were done by another company. They had been aerated, the plugs were pulled......a whole 1/2" of dirt. Looked for visible seed and found none.

What a crappy job, done to a poor lawn, with no hope of surviving. What a waste of money and time.

Remember, do it right or find someone that can.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Ray

You mean that the depth of the plugging was 1/2"???

Isnt this good for helping the worms on their journeys without having to do all the work for those lazy SOBs. LOL!!!

Talk about an absolute waste of fuel and labor. What some people will do to rip off their clientele.

Kris

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

ray: that aeravator is sweet. like to see first products come up with a small walk behind for edging out the job.
    well after they see the results on your job maybe you will pick them up ...
    lol are you sure seed was included in that 1/2 plug job.
    ant

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Kerby..what area of charlotte was that in ? I had seen some lawns just like that. The thing is that some of my Aerating customers didnt want me to go down that far because of fear of hitting shallow gas line and irrigation pipes...I had my machine (bluebird ) set as deep as it would go and it can only pull a inch plug when the lawn is dry..maybe a little further when damp soil.

5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I won't mention the name of the company, but it is a large chemical company.

I did some work for a lady that they had just aerated for and overseeded. The plugs they pulled where also only a 1/2". (It has not rained in over a week.)
    While I was there to do the other work I was supposed to give an estimate for aerating and overseeding. But the other company did it after she just asked for an estimate for how much it would be.
    She got a "bargain" for the aeration at $65 for 12,500 sq ft.
    The company also told her that it was cost prohibitive to use a slicer/seeder. Which is what she wanted and was willing to pay for.

After she gets this situation resolved she will probably discontinue service.

6. KirbysLawn

Bunton Guy,

In Matthews & Indian Trail. Saw 3 more today all with 1/4 - 1/2" plugs, a waste of time and money. If you have rock hard lawns and they will not aerate do yourself & your customers a favor and wait, don't waste their money. Give me a call if you want any aeravated, did several today, 3" of crushed drit.:D

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

fuueww..I thought you were talken about my job:D I beleive I have seen you in the area that I work ..In I beleive its spelled Shannamara . I did a few in there that were rock hard. I told them weeks in advance to water the yard well the day before I aerate and I called the day before to let them know....I get there and the grass is a foot tall and unwatered. I start in a section and half way through the yard she tells me to come back another day to work she forgot to water she said "I forgot to call " I was about to walk off and screw the job.

8. KirbysLawn

Very good, that's where I spent the day today, hammering the ground.

9. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Kirby and BuntonGuy, I hope we get some rain this weekend because I plan on doing a lot of aerating next week. As it stands now it will be hard to do. Ground is very hard. I had to install some Rhodedendrons today. Almost needed a jack hammer to dig.

Oh well maybe Gabrielle will dump some h20 on us. I hope we just get rain and not the storm.

10. KirbysLawn

No, no rain for another week will be fine with me, have too many aeravation jobs to do and need the dry ground.