Pulling 17,000lbs in the rockies

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Jul 18, 2007.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Thats close to the combined weight of my uncles new 3/4 GMC Yukon and 28 ft enclosed trailer.

The GMC has the 6.0L gasser and he just told me driving through the rockies he had to get behind the semi's a bunch of times and went as slow as 40mph pulling the steep hills.

Is this just a lot of weight for a small block? They don't make a diesel for suburbans or Yukon's yet. He cant do a pickup because of trips where he takes 7 people, you can't do that comfortably with that many occupants for thousands of miles.

The next best thing is the Ford Excursion but that has a terrible ride compared to his new Yukon's.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

well its either suffer the terrable ride of the excursion, or continue towing at40mph, if it were me, id get the excursion and never look back.

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have you actually riden in an Excursion??? We have a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD. It rides very well, has plenty of tow power. We use it to tow our 35' Travel Trailer. Does a great job and rides good.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Isn't the 8.1L available? He's at capacity, you can't expect it to chug right along up steep grades. Diesel would be ideal and I wish it was available in the SUV's, always been appealing to me. How about a swap :)

What rear does he have? 3.73?

I've got a 6.0L with 4.10 rear...........it does the job but when I'm really loaded its going to slow but I also don't mash the gas, I drive the load.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You can allways go for a crew cab diesel duramax...

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

GM doesn't offer the 8.1 anymore. I thouhgt Ford dropped the Excursion a few years back that thing was a tank?:weightlifter:

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

With 7 people going from Florida through the Rockies. I bet that would be a comfortable trip. Yeh right.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford did stop producing the Excursion a couple years ago, I think 04 or 05 was the last year? We recently picked up a clean low miles '03. It is sharp but only has the 5.4 gasser in it which is definitely not for towing. I would love to find one as clean as the one I have with the psd in it. My F-350 is the same model year; I get the same mileage as the wife's Excursion - when I am towing 10,000 pounds, anyway.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

An aftermarket chip can free up some power in that motor. 40mph pullinh a 10000-12000lb trailer up a grade is respectable for a small block gasser.
    Is the Suburban still in production?

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If he is doing this on a regular basis its time to build a truck for the purpose out of a medium duty truck. A low pro truck with 19.5 wheels with a bus body type for people to sit comfortably. For one thing a medium duty will last longer you will have more power.