Pulling a 16' enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Does a 1/2 ton pickup pull a 16' enclosed trailer with two Z's pretty good? Looking into getting a 16' enclosed trailer to haul my two Z's, but need to make sure it will pull ok before I make the purchase. How many guys pull a 16' enclosed with a half-ton pickup? Thanks!

2. The Cutting Edge

The Cutting Edge LawnSite Member

I would not do it, transmission problems waiting to happen... I pulled my 16' with my 3/4 ton and it was hard on everything. I now pull with a F350 with a dump insert, two Z's and a walk behind and it does pretty good but don't try it..

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I pull a 14' enclosed with my 06 Silverado 1/2ton (46" exmark, 32" w/b, 2x 21"s and all kinds of other crap) pulls fine. every once in a while i even pull my 20' equipment trailer!

4. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Put it in drive easy on transmission!

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my 2500 HD Crew Cab with Allison tranny, don't even know its there.

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I wore a half ton out in 2 years pulling my trailer full of tools ( trimmers blowers ect) and a ztr a 21 and a 48 or 52 walk . I then took the jump several years ago and went to a 3500 , have never looked back after that . I am on my 3rd 3500 Pulling daily with a 96 chevy 3500 and maintentance /backup truck is a 01 3500 chevy ( got rid of a POS 99 dodge 3500)

7. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I use a Ford Ranger v6 to haul a Exmark and and a 10' trailer

8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

From everything I heard here, an enclosed 16 vs. open it's a big difference. I pull an open 16' with my F350 with no problems, but my 91 F250 doesn't like it with it's little 302.

I'd get at least a 3/4 ton late model, but a one ton would be ideal.

9. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

I pull a 16' open trailer with my 1/2 ton. With two Z's it's stuggling. Under 55 and flat ground is ok. But over 55 and hills are a different story. With the added weight of being enclosed as well as the increased wind-resistance, I think you will be looking for trouble. Will your truck pull it? Probably yes. But you will run into drivetrain issues eventually as well as get very poor fuel mileage. I'd definately look into get a 3/4 ton with a bigger gas engine or a diesel.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

If you're set on enclosed space, take a good hard look at a used isuzu boxvan. there are tons of them out there for around ten grand, many with 50-85 thousand mailes on them. most new enclosed 16' trailers are 4 grand plus. I have run dozens of 1/2ton, 3/4ton and 1 ton trucks into the ground trailering. The folks that put 100 or 200 thousand miles on pickups take them on trips without the trailer. any pickup that does 150k in town usage is done.

the isuzu diesels will give you an honest 250k plus of service in town/service usage. My brother bought a new one with an open landscape/ramp rig 5 years ago, it is paid off with 45k on the odometer. It realistically will last another 20 years.

you can buy that trailer, pull it with your truck, until the tranny is shot, or engine, and then replace the truck, maybe a 3/4 or 1 ton, 7 years later, replace tranny, or trailer axles by then, etc. why not do it right the 1st time?