1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulling a compost spreader with a zero turn?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by MikeBJH, Apr 3, 2008.

1. MikeBJH

MikeBJH LawnSite Member

Wondering if it would be wise to pull an Earth and Turf model 200 topdresser with a zero turn. I need to buy a new mower this season and would like to kill two birds with one stone. Fully loaded the top dresser weighs 1700 lbs. I currently use Walker mowers but the rep said not to pull more that a couple hundred pounds. Looking at the Hustler Super Z now. That rep said it would "probably" be ok but not to over do it. I don't think I can swing for a new mower, top dresser and tractor/ four wheeler all in one season.

Also looking at the Ecolawn walk behind top dresser. I have a few large properties and this unit might be a little small for those jobs. Any insights would be great.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I take that kind of response as .... I don't know, but go ahead and try it .... oh and here is the number to our small engine repair shop.
  3. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You can tow up to 2000lbs with a Dixie.
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

1700 lbs Is a lot of weight for those Z motors...IMO...don't over fill It...and take It easy I'm 100% sure that Is not good for a Z turn...I have done It with my ZD28...I have a tab welded on the back, but It was a manure spreader(Modified) that I pulled...2 bucket loads of compost It would haul and spread .the zd Is a 2004...and still running strong...the right hauler would be a small compact tractor or a ATV. i use the ATV now for all that type of work.
  5. MikeBJH

MikeBJH LawnSite Member

Yeah I am coming to that same conclusion. Now I need to decide if I am going to buy an atv to pull a spreader or a walk behind unit like the eco-lawn. Has anyone used one of these? Rittenhouse sells them too. They look pretty handy but might be a little small for some of my larger yards 2-3 acres and at one you can't park the truck near most of the lawn. I see a lot of long walks back to the truck to refill.
    Do you think a 250cc fwd wheeler will pull that 1700 lbs or do i need to look for something bigger?

Anyone used a bark blower to apply topdress. Looks like it would be an option if i had a rental nearby, which I do not.

Thanks for the replies guys.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

we regularly pull with a dixie choper, no deck that saves 500# but we pull a lot with it and no trouble.
  7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys must have salt spreaders up there, why not drive through the property with your truck and spreader.

I've seen it done with an 10 ton dump and a big heavy duty salt spreader used for highways
  8. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

250 cc Is too small...Min. 350cc and remember 4 stroke...not 2 stroke
    Also a 4' chain harrow would be a great add on to your ATV
  9. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

not sure how good it would be to pull that much weight 1700+pds with a rider
    maybe dont load as much compost to keep weight down

We pull large tarps filled with leafs ete. during clean ups(400+pds maybe) behind the 20hp walker with little struggle just make sure your not stressing the belts or hydraulics
    you'll know if your stressing anything by feel and sound

as long as you have good wheels and barrings on the compost spreader you could be ok with that much weight, just start moving slow to gain speed so not to stress mower and to prevent spinning out the mower tires on the grass(need dry conditions on grass)

Using a truck salt spreader, have to make sure soil is completely dry so not to compact soil with truck tires, might not be a good idea on regular sized lawns though:laugh:
  10. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

I use to own a walker and a torro, The walker is too fragile and to expensive to repair for me to chance it. But then again, if you could find a way to do it going back words you could probably pull whatever you want with it. Those things will back up a cliff but wont go forward up a little slope almost. The toro seems like it would hold up pretty good. They are a lot heavier built. I don't know much about the dixies. Think of it like this though with the Walker, that is a finish cut mower, its designed to just put the finishing touch on a manacured lawn, not bush hoggin. The toro though will take out a small tree almost. Thats what is more built for, the rougher stuff. Talk to any mechanic and they should be able to tell you what will work best. Different mowers are designed for different things.

I sure miss my Walker though, that thing is a piece of art.