1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pulling a dump trailer with a half ton?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by johnnybow, Dec 21, 2011.

1. stockie

stockie LawnSite Member

I have a 2010 ram 1500. Just bought a 6x10 CAM Dump in the spring. Trailer is rated for 10k. For mulch, and brush its awesome, truck pulls it no problem. What you have to watch is the tounge weight. Sure, my truck will tow 10k, trailer will hold 10k, but the bumper will be on the ground. In order for my trucl to tow 10k, it has to be balanced on the trailer, and a trailer full or gravel is not balanced.
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think you'll be fine if you're not hauling heavy all the time. Where you have to be carefull is when hauling materials that are sold by the cubic yard rather than the ton, such as top soil....weights vary a lot depending on the exact material and moisture level and it's pretty easy to go over weight. Just make sure to get a good brake controller and to adjust it properly for each load so you're not destroying your truck brakes.
  3. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

Posted via Mobile Device
  4. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

When your truck wears out you'll still have the trailer and you can buy a 3/4 ton. My dump trailer is 9000 lbs empty and has a GVWR of 25,000.