Pulling a Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jhawk71, Dec 14, 2005.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

This upcoming spring I am looking at purchasing a used dump trailer. I am hope to find either a 6'x10', 6'x12' or 7'x14'. I currently have a 02 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L v8. Will I be able to safely pull a dump trailer of the size I'm looking at? In the spring I plan to use it for mulch jobs and to remove the debris from spring clean-ups. My main use for the trailer will be leaves in the fall I plan to box it in. I currently have a leaf loader on my boxed in 10ft open trailer. Looking for more volume and easier dumping. Any advice is appreciated.
    Jhawk71

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i think the 6x10/12 would be the best fit for your truck.

If you go too big (7x14) you loose all your trailer payload in trailer weight. The f150 is the weak link, are you planning on upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton in the future? if so then maybe consider living with the lessened payload for a year or two and get the bigger trailer.

3. n2ma

n2ma LawnSite Member

We have 7x14 dump trailer. I pull the trailer with my 03, F-250. It has the 5.4L.
    It does well pulling it with box for leaves. I have put dirt, rock,manure, mulch and also pulled ok. With the F-150 I would not go over anything 12' in length.
    Our dump trailer empty wieghts 2800 lbs.
    Here is our leaf box with giant Vac mounted ontop.

100_2217.jpg

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol... no

we just bought a 7X14 and our 1500 dodge struggles with it.
    my 2500 hd does fine.. but at 4K empty weight you REALLY know the trailer is back there with the 1/2 ton dodge

5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at getting a 2500HD and a 6x12 dump trailer with 5 foot sides for next year. I will be adding this in as I already have a 97 f150 with a 16' landscape trailer. I'd like the 8.1L HD but I am having a hard enough time finding a 6.0L as it is. Looking for a 2001-2002 4x4 extended cab with about 100,000 miles.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A large dump trailer weighs well over 3000 pounds. If you put any amount of heavy material in the trailer you'll overload an F150 to the point where you might not be able to get the truck stopped. If you're just hauling yard debris (no dirt, rock, or large amounts of mulch) you'll be fine. Remember, mulch still weighs about 1000 pounds a yard and at 3 yards a trip it might just be faster and less expensive to have it delivered.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would not use a f150 for ANY dump trailer. They simply weigh too much, even if its under the trailering capicty for a 150, once you load it up with material, it will be way over its weight capicity and be sagging your truck down, bogging your truck down, and good luck when it comes to stopping.

I would sell it and get a 3/4ton or 1ton.

Scag48, does mulch really weigh 1000lbs per yard. I've had 5-6yards in my 3/4ton and it barely sagged, maybe the mulch you had was wet?

I just didnt think it weighed that much, I figured around 500/yard

8. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i pulled a 7.5x16? heavy duty dump trailer with my f250 with a 5.4l my f250 looks like the f150 and it hauls it with no problem

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

So your telling me just because they look the same, they can do as much?

Ya right buddy, look at the suspension on the 250 compared to the 150, along with the braking system, and tons of other crap.

10. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We put the dump trailer on the back of the 1/2 ton no problem, I will not put more than 1 yd of material in it though because I would be affraid that the brakes would fail before anything else. The truck is more than capable of handling it but I just do not want to push my limits. I have fully loaded the dump trailer while pulling it with my HD and it doesnt even sag. The 1/2ton sags with just the trailer on:rolleyes: .
    Mark, you should put a maxi dump insert (good for 10k) in your truck, make it easier to shovel things out:p Just kidding man. Having fun plowing yet?? I love plowing because its all gravypayup .
    James