1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulling a fast one!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I need some advice on this one. I get home today and one of my customers had left a message saying they wanted to cancel service because I damaged there screen and a wire for there pool pump. They had a pool put in and the area around the pool is a mess, piles of dirt with nails and wood and all kinds of crap in them. Anyway, I call them and they claim 3 or 4 weeks ago my trimmer guy (under the table) damaged a wire for there pool and It cost them $560 to have repaired. And the repair man even said it was done with a weed eater. They owe me $130 from this and last month. He said he will pay his bill for cutting if I pay for the repair. When I asked why they didn't tell me about this when it happened instead of letting me cut for another month they didn't have a good reason.
    I think they are trying to scam me. But they own a huge towing company here in town and I don't know if it's worth a legal battle for $130. What do you guys think. Also when I cut today the area around the pool had been cleared out with a bobcat or something. Somethings fishy here.
    Oh yeh I have insurance.
  2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

They are full of it. How does it cost $560.00 to fix a wire and why was it in the lawn?
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe ask if you can see the repair invoice?Say you want to know the damage your worker caused.
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Also, when you look at the invoice, I would get a copy and then go to the company that repaired it and speak to the guy that fixed it.
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I know that in our court system, those are two different issues. He canèt hold back payment for work you did, he has to sue you.

Same applies if a customer pays up front for all thier cuts and than you trim a hedge and send a bill. If he doesnèt pay, you cant take the grass money and stop cutting early,.
  6. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Write it off.............wouldn't be worth the aggravation of he said-they did-it wasn't me game........sucks, but hey, in the time it takes you to fight this and try to collect, you could make triple somewhere else......write it off. :alien: IMO

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I too would want to see and talk to the repair person who fixed the wire. Dang, 560 bucks for a cut wire? Who did they get to fix it, the BobbyGedd of wiring? :D Something just don't sound right here and I have a problem fessing up to something that may or may not have been my fault. They would have to prove it to me but thats just me. Some say its not worth the fight but I feel different when I'm accused of something.