pulling a trailer with a standard?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by born2farm, Jun 12, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys,

I got my first truck today (check sig.) and also bought a 6.5x12 single axle trailer. anybody have any tips on pulling a loaded trailer with a standard. I only have my permit but i will be going to pick up the trailer tomorrow to get used to pulling with it. any tips to not blow a tranny?

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You won't have to worry about blowing the tranny so much as wearing out your clutch. If the clutch pedal is not completely in or out, then you are slipping the clutch and consuming the wear material on the clutch disc. When you are taking off from a stop, rev the engine and slip the clutch just enough to keep the engine from stalling. The F150 has a pretty tall first gear ratio, so this can be tough if you are starting on a hill with a loaded trailer.

3. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

nothing to worry about on your end I have a 93 s10 5 speed pulls a 5x10 with a 42" ztr and a 36" walk behind plus trimmer and edger blah blah blah just I get alot of lag from the wind sometime cant get over 55 til I draft someone :)

4. me.

me. LawnSite Member

i am pulling with a V6 4L standard ranger, and i would say two ways to do it

A) rev the engine up to 2.5-3ish or something and slowly let off the clutch at a constant speed..and you will start moving

B) feather the gas but nothing about 2 rpm and slowly let off the clutch..this will get you going, but not take off.

i personnally like B.

however fast/slow you move the clutch out without a trailer, you want to keep that same speed with the trailer, and to do so, you will have to give it more gas to compensate for the added weight

hope that helps

5. born2farm

thanks guys.

im going to pick up the trailer today with the truck. im going to go out to the farm and load the trailer with some weight and practice just manuvering around the barnyard before i load all my equipment on it and hit the road.

6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

an excellent idea,just remember to rev when changing gears so you don't wear out the clutch.

7. born2farm

so your saying dont let out of the gas completely when shifting?

8. k911lowe

its been my experience (never wore out a clutch,drive fords exclusively,for 50 years)that this is better way to drive,because that way the clutch is moving when you engage and it does not just grab from being stopped.

9. born2farm

ok thanks. i will try and remember all this when driving. i just got my permit yesterday and jumping in a standard there is so much to remember and pay attention to your first day.

10. k911lowe

you'll get there,all it takes is enthusiasm.good luck.