Pulling a trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLC, Jun 5, 2001.

1. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I was just worndering what you guys pull your trailers with . I got a Dodge dakota right now but I'm looking at a Ford F 150 with a 4 sp in it . Do you think it's better to get and auto than a 4sp.This truck is real nice but I don't know about the shifting all the time ,if it would be good on the trailer and mowers back there. It's 2 wheel drive so I won't be pushing any snow or pulling out any trees with it . Let me know what you think .

2. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

forget that ford. go buy a DODGE with a Diesel 5 spd. you'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Until your tradin it in for a Chevy.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion and experience, shifting is a pain in the a$$. Auto for me and that's final. Just my opinion. It's nice to have one hand free to unscrew the Gatorade cap!

5. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 3.0 Ranger, decked out. Most underpowed V-6 I have ever driven. However, it pulls my 5X13 trailer just fine in the city and country roads.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the 3.0 Ranger too. The BIGGEST:mad: mistake of my life, but I'm stuck in a lease with 2 years to go.

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Now I'm thinking of getting a diesel dump truck 2wd (hear better for towing) and plowing snow just put about 600lbs in the bed. 4WD not a neccessity if you got a dump truck.

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the Dodge if you want the transmission to fall out in the middle of the road. Go with the Chevy if you plan on selling it after a year. I would stick with a Ford. We have a 2000 F-150 V8 auto and it works fine. We plan on getting a F-250 after the lease is up.

9. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Since I drove big trucks for a few years (BEFORE new innovations like Eaton's Auto-Select came out!) and I drive a 4-speed equipped welding truck now, shifting doesn't bother me at all. (I catch myself quite often in automatic-equipped vehicles reaching for the stick, clutch or sometimes both!) Some people find shifting all the time to be a nuisance, especially in stop & go traffic, so a lot depends on your own personal preference.

Unless you're driving like a maniac and crash-shifting every gear, shifting won't have any effect on your trailer and equipment.

I admit that I'm not very familiar with clutch/transmission choices and durability in Fords, so I'll let others more qualified speak on that topic!

I would think that the 4-speed should work OK for you, your clutch will probably be the "weak link" in the chain.

An automatic will be a little easier to drive, (no shifting) your biggest enemy there will be heat: Make sure it's equipped with a good transmission fluid cooler! And don't neglect the fluid/filter changes either, towing qualifies as severe service.

Summit - yes, you can plow with 2wd and most of the "two-wheel" trucks I see plowing are the duallys that can carry plenty of ballast. Having said that, keep in mind that "ya gotta stay within your limits"! 2wd trucks are best suited for plowing open lots where you can use momentum to your advantage. Driveways and awkward, cluttered lots with plenty of stop/start/manouver around obstacles are more of a pain in the............ Stacking piles is another area where you can get hung up easily, since the front wheels don't provide any motive power.

Mine's got a winch on the back and it's been to put to use a few times for a little "tug" back off a pile.

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I had a ranger years ago, weak, broke down, not enough truck for the job. Switched to a 1/2 ton chevy, stronger but still not enough truck it was only 6 cylinder.
    Finally bought an automatic f-250 2 wd smaller engine (351) it does great. I've had it loaded to the limits and it never slows down. It is real plain Jane. no auto windows/doors. It does have air cond. (important) Until this truck I had always used standard transmission but I really like tha automatic. This truck has held up great for the last 3 years and hopefully will keep going!