Pulling aerator with ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcare, Oct 10, 2003.

1. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I have read about some of your doing this. I have a 23hp toro 62" and just bought a hitch kit. I want to tow an aerator with it but it suggest only towing 80 lbs. or it could damage your hydros. The core aerator I rent weighs a WHOLE lot more than 80 lbs. It has six five gallon jugs that you fill up with water. Has anyone had any problems pulling something this heavy with a ZTR? I don't want to damage anything.

2. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

Dixi Chopper will pull a ton and that was from Dixi. That is 25 times what toro is telling you. Different machines, but I think it will pull more than what it recommends. Is that tongue weight that they are talking about? :alien:

3. turfcare

I am not sure. I going to call the dealer.

4. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

My Exmark ZTR has a towing limit of 80 lbs of *draw* weight. Draw weight is different than the weight of the equipment you are pulling. I read a post a while ago that said you can think of draw weight like this: if you could somehow attach a big fish scale to your ZTR and to your aerator, whatever weight the fish scale registers is your draw weight.

Even so, your aerator sounds like a pretty hefty piece of equipment, and I would be inclined to pull it with an old garden tractor rather than with a ZTR if you could.

5. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

we pull a Blue Bird aerator w/ our Turf Tigers. it has 5 or 6 five gallon water jugs on top too. havent had any problems so far.

6. LawnSmith

oops, here is a picture of the unit we use.

aerator_ta10_1.gif

7. turfcare

That is the same one I am useing. What size engine do you have?

8. LawnSmith

we use it on both our 27hp and 29hp machines.

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

When I start aerating, I will pull it with my old Crapsman lawn tractor.

10. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

You can pull it with your Z Expert. Believe me you wont want to use a garden tractor after you do.