Pulling bushes/shrubs with winch??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Sep 8, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Anyone used one of those 12v portable winches that you see on eBay and in HarborFrieght catalogs?

I've been thinking about getting one for the rare occasion that I need to pull a bush or small stump.

They have a 6000lb rolling workload and a 2000lb dragging workload.

They also come with an attachment to slip over your hitch ball.

They run about $50-75 depending on where you get it from.

I just got done digging out 8 bushes and it wasn't fun.

So, anyone used one? Thanks.

Oops! I just realized I already asked this question a few week back. Moderators, feel free to delete this one.
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Don't need a winch if you have a chain......;)
  3. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

We use a come along sometimes.
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I guess you could use a battery operated winch depending on what exactly you are trying to pull out. It took me some time to rip out a 10 foot tall taxus with a 10,000 lb excavator and a chain. Just some food for thought.
  5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We dig stumps. Couple shovels, axes. In like not time at all my guys have it out.

OK larger stuff, yeah some time is needed.

If I don't want to do them or don't have time. I call a friend with stump grinders.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a tree company site that discusses how they utilize a winch to remove roots.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Doubt the quality of winches you described would hold up. A good Warn brand would.
    Have to be careful pulling plantings up as suggested method if they're anywhere near buildings or plumbing, gas lines, etc.
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

True that Rustic

I have seen masons and even homeowners try pulling bushes out with their trucks, suv's, cars, etc...........

Some of them have actualy pulled up their walkways, sidewalks, fences, you name it.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

pick, ax, chainsaw, shovel, and brute strength.
  10. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

Chain/Cable. Heavy Duty Truck rim.4WD truck.
    Was told this a while back. Hook chain/cable to bottom of tree, stump,ex girlfriend etc. Have the chain go right up and over the top of rim.(rim straight like it had tire, and was on vehicle right near stump etc closer to tree better) Then hook chain to trailer hitch Truck in 4Low On something with traction and pull. Having the rim near tree will help pull the tree straight out and up rather than trying to yank it out sideway......Im not responsible for any of your accidents :angel:
    Has worked for me flawless...but use your brain...wont work on redwoods