Pulling Dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PGold, Aug 24, 2006.

1. PGold

PGold LawnSite Member
    from biloxi

How many yards of dirt and clay can I expect to pull with my f250 powerstroke? I am trying to figure out what size dump trailer I want to get.

2. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

I'd advise to just get it delivered. If I need more then 3 yards, I get it delivered.

3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

if you really want to push it you can get about 10 bobcat bucket scoops. That is probably around 7 actual yards

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

7 yards in a dump trailer, you're joking right? That's at least 14,000 pounds on the light side just for the dirt, not including the trailer. Do us all a favor and don't give idiotic advice. That setup would only work if you had a 20,000# gooseneck dump trailer with an F550 and a class A CDL.

With our dump trailer and my F450, I could get about 4 yards of dry loam safely without being too much overweight. DOT doesn't run around here that much so getting caught wasn't the issue, but I strive for safety.

5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i can pull 8 yards of mulch on my trailer

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch weighs 60% less, on average, than dirt. I can put 9-10 yards of mulch in ours if I tarp it, it's a 7x14 rated for 14,000#.

7. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

12.5k towing capacity on the f250. Atleast 2.5k trailer. So 5 yards depending on weight of trailer. Assuming its ball and not gooseneck.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

2,500 pound trailer weight for a trailer that is rated for 12-14,000 pounds? Dream on. Try at least 4,000 pounds for a trailer with that capacity. What is logical, however, is a trailer rated for 14,000, trailer weight of 4,000, and leaves you 10,000 to put in it. At that point, if you filled it, you'd be overloading your truck. But you could get 4 yards in pretty easy, but that truck would be hurting that's for sure.

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

My CAM is rated for 12k and weighs 2639 lbs. dry with all needed stuff like battery and such.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: At some of these responces. Okey i run my business with a new 350 srw powst. I dont have a dump truck any more due to i have a friend who trucks for me on a dimes notice for a good rate, Any way i have a 10,000 gvw dump trailer i only use for clean up or haul small incriments in. It is 10' long dump. I have hauled 3-4 ton of weighed stone in it from quarry and that is max. You couldnt even get any more in the thing. And it would dump it. That is also with a pintle hitch. Now i do have a hydr-seeder mounted on a 16',12,000 gvw. trailer it is a 550 holding 500 gal. of water plus a 500 gal. aux. tank all equal 1000 gal. My truck will pull it and stop okey but we dont drive 50 miles with a load either. Most places i seed i only have to travel 1-6 miles tops because we have streams every where. Now i do have the trailer and the truck tagged properly and have cdl's. It took us a coule tries mounting the seeder and the aux. tank and filling it before we perm. bolted it down. It actually sits well and the truck handles it well. The water weighs around 8500, macine around 600, 600 lbs. of material, trailer weight, im close to max.
    Mike