1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling electrical conduit w/pipe puller ??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Aug 15, 2011.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever pull gray "plastic" electrical conduit with a pipe puller?

Not quite sure what kind of "plastic" it is made with.

Have never pulled any kind of PVC pipe or conduit before, just irrigation poly on a roll.

Any tips or advice for pulling the electrical conduit? How long to wait for the glue to set properly.

Thanks

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Conduit is sch 40, so why not? The important thing is to get the bell ends in the right direction so the pull wire does not get caught when being blown through, or are you going to install pull wire at the same time?

3. WalkGood

Your suggestion of inserting the wire into the bell end first made me think of the orientation when pulling the pipe itself.

Would pulling from the male end of the pipe and NOT from the bell end also make sense so that the edges of the bell aren't dragging?

The wire I think is to be pulled thru the pipe AFTER the pipe is installed. One neat trick I learned about pulling wires thru conduit. Use masons twine with a small wad of plastic bag tied to it. Get a shop-vac to suck the wad of plastic bag thru the pipe to get the twine to the other end. Use the twine to either pull your wires or to pull a heavier "pull-tape" which then pulls the wires. Works super fast with the shop-vac.

Any idea how long to let the glue set before pulling the pipe?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

three days

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I did just what you are talking about last week. I pulled 250' around a pool because the masons damaged the pool light wire when building the patio. I went there the day before and glued it all together. It pulled fine with the 1-1/2" bullet. Then the fun task of repairing the irrigation lines.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It's just like laying any other pvc pipe; go with the flow and not have any extrusions to block it. Depending on which way you're going to do the blow/suck, make sure the bell ends are not blocking. The plastic bag method works great, I use a pulling twine that I get from Platt electric that is lighter than anything. All sweep ells, by the way. Use wet 'n dry.

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

8. WalkGood

greenmonster Have you yourself used the utility conduit rolls? Would be better than gluing sticks together.

Was the pool job low voltage or 120v? Did you use conduit sticks on this job or irrigation poly?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

only a low-rent piker puts power wires inside of poly pipe *cough*

10. WalkGood

That means shop-vac to me! Is that a type of glue?

I do not do much PVC if at all. Did one repair this Summer, last one was years and years ago.

Only other PVC I have done is the DWV on my bathroom and kitchen remodel. Used whatever the Home Of The Pot sold for sch-40 PVC.