Pulling lawn roller

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Timba, May 19, 2003.

1. Timba

Timba LawnSite Member

Would it be too much of a strain on the system for a 2002 Lazer Z with 25HP Kohler to pull a steel lawn roller? I think it's about 4' wide, and about 2' in diameter? If you need more accurate information, I can measure it and tell you how many gallons of water it holds. I only need to roll my 3 acres, which is mostly flat or rolling terrain. Thanks a lot,

Tim

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Tim,

Thanks for the post.

The hitch/drive system is rated at 80-lbs. draw weight. A roller that size will certainly exceed that rating by a large margin.

I would not recommend using any of the Exmark riding mowers to pull an attachment that heavy.

Thanks

Terry

3. Timba

Timba LawnSite Member

I was afraid you'd say that. I think that's the limit that the sticker on the hitch plate gives too, but I wasn't clear if they meant draw weight (which you clarified) or tongue weight, etc.

Why is it so low, compared to even a lawn tractor? Is it weight distribution, the hydro driveline, or something else? It just seems like such a powerful machine, I was surprised the limit was so low.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate your time.

-Tim

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Tim,

Reliability and efficiency.

The hydros are very reliable when they operate with in the constraints they are designed for. The Lazer's were designed with a specific purpose in mind. To cut grass and do so very quickly and efficiently. A lawn tractor is designed to cut grass but it does so rather slowly because it's also designed for heavier towing.

It's sorta like comparing a truck to a corvette. Each has a purpose but I doubt the corvette's going to pull a trailer full of equipment for very long.

Thanks

Terry

5. Timba

Timba LawnSite Member

I got it, thanks for the analogy. I was wondering if it had to do with gearing in the transmission. I'll take my mower over a lawn tractor any day.