1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulling motor out of Walker's annually??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Feb 15, 2003.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys pull the motors out of your Walkers at the end of each season? My dealer always says to so you can clean out all the dirt that gets caked up behind the flywheel and around the magnets etc, to prevent something from overheating? (im not sure of the exact reason why they say to do so). I guess you don't have to do it to the diesel's because it is a different set up...not sure about the EFI's though...they just always tell me to on my 20hp. We blew the starter on our last day of the season so the motor is coming out anyways.

Just wondering if this has been a common practice for any of you...

2. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i have a walker mower and i have never heard that and i deal with my walker dealer on a regular basis....the way they are set up they aren't all that hard to clean anyway ....i just take a power washer and spray it down until its spotless ...i don't see any reason to pull the engine , that sounds like work. and i thought one thing walker brags about is how easy everything is to reach because of the set up .........everything is right there under the seat for easy maintenance.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That's just plain silly. There are some covers/shields you can take off without pulling the engine. I just blow out what I can reach with an air hose. Have never taken anything off the engine, and sure have never pulled the whole engine. My Walker MT 20 is 5 years old and I have not had any engine troubles due to accumulated dirt or overheating. You need to find another dealer. :)
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree, they are easy enough to get to. But I run the Kubota's anyway. We just clean them really well during the season, or they do get "caked" up. The funny thing is with the double back wheels. Ever take those apart? You'll find a "Dirt Ball" the size of a tennis ball cin there! I always got a kick out of that! :D