Pulling out bushes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dmk395, Jun 17, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I am trying to expand a bit and am looking to take some courses on planting bushes, flowers etc. Well the other day a customer asked me to pull out 4 junipers...I figure sure, no problem, just shovel around and yank em up...LOL Wow not quite that easy. The end result was me saying the hell with it, hooking a rope to my truck and yanking out the last two...much easier...lesson learned USE YOUR TOOLS.

2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen people pull hitches off trucks tearing out large junipers! I would be careful, wear and tear on your truck may not be worth the job at any price.

I use a 4WD JD 750. In low gear it will pull out just about anything and I don't have to worry about tearing up a $30,000 dollar truck on a $200 dollar job.

Jim L

3. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

I use a chain for shrubs in front yards for back yards cut to ground & we use the stump grinder.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you can pull them out with your truck thats one thing, but if you have to start jerking on them your looking for big trouble!!

Evaluate those kinds of jobs to see what kind of abuse your going to put your truck through.

5. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

I did the same thing once when the bush came out it hit the truck just above the back window the dent looked like somebody hit it with a baseball bat at fullswing,just think what would have hapened to my head if it had been about 6 inches lower. The moral to the story think before you act.

6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Well at least I was smart. I dug around the bush, then wrapped a half inch nylon rope around the base, which I had already dug out. It was simple then. Nonetheless I could definately see problems being evident had I simply strapped it to my truck and began pulling.

7. dmk- if you are gonna pull some shrubs, get a good thick 20' chain. i used that a few weeks ago to pull some taxus stumps. i had to jerk the truck for that, back and forth, back and forth. finally they came out. last year i had to pull out a concrete fence post. thing must have been in there about 2 - 3 feet in. dug around it a bit, then put a rope to it, the rope through a block up in a big tree, the rope back to my truck on the road. well i started pulling, and the truck was just doing burnouts. so i dug somemore, then i put my lawn mower in the back, hit it a couple of times nice and hard and it came out. put it in low and just go for it. nice thing about ropes is that they will stretch to a point, however they are more expensive than chains, and also must be replaced after a while.

as for classes to take. call up nancy and cathy over at the stockbridge office @umass and talk with them. they should be able to help you out. or go take jack ahern's plant id course. they will teach you about 200 plants. so just some stuff to think about.

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys are asking for trouble if you start yanking out shrubs with trucks. They weren't designed for that and I know a coupla folks that have lost a transmission or two doing that with hollies.

9. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

:blob2:
    NEVER! NEVER! NEVER use nylon, or most other synthetic rope when pulling or towing anything! Using nylon, or most synthetic, rope is like tying the stump to a giant rubber band. If whatever you are trying to pull out breaks free at the ropes maximum extention it will catapult toward you, or something (someone), close by and could seriously injure or kill them or you!

If you want to use rope to pull then use natural fiber rope, it will not strech.

I live in the Detroit area and I do a lot of sailing. At one of the coast guard stations, I can't remember which one, there is a cleat on the wall. The cleat was removed from the skull of a young crewman who used a nylon line to try and tow a boat. The cleat was torn out of the deck and the nylon line slingshot the cleat right through the back of his head.

They placed the cleat on the wall so that others might benefit from the unfortunate crewmans mistake, I hope this is a lesson that all will take seriously.

Jim L:blob2:

10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

If it wont come out with a few quick tugs of my deere front mower then it is staying in the ground,... Arborviaties and yews are the easiest to pull out:blob3: