Pulling PE and PVC

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Hank Reardon, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Pardon my newbie inquiry, but what is the benefit of pulling these? Don't you have to dig holes for the valves, heads, flow meter, etc.?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm stealing a picture from BSME:

[​IMG]

Notice how little a plow damages the turf. Thats the major selling point for me.

Secondly, its faster to dig up each head than it is to backfill the entire trench.

We can usually install a head (dig, install and backfill) in just 3-4 minutes. On a lateral with 5 heads (100' or so long) you can plow and install in less than 30 minutes.

Try doing that with a trencher.

3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

what Jon said.

1) you can see how nice it looks. We leave yard signs after new installs... and since a neighbor can't really see our work without asking the homeowner to show them what we did, we are hoping they'll be impressed by what they don't see (damage to the existing turf).

2) speed. I really have no idea how long a system takes if it were trenched but that job in the picture was 7 zones (6 rotors, 1 shrub). Took 5 guys, including myself, 9 hours. and I barely touched a shovel or rake the whole time since I spent four hours with another guy pulling the pipe and shooting the bores (I haven't mastered my machine like Jon yet) and then did other misc things like installing the timer.

4. Hank Reardon

I can see how it could speed up time (nice job; in one day even), but how much does the machine cost in hourly overhead? How much [per zone] would a system like the one shown cost? It also seems like quite an expensive piece of machinery to not be running nearly every week.

I've heard conflicting stories on the ability for the units to pull in heavy clay/rocky soil. Is there validity to these statements?

-Russ

5. Dirty Water

Our 410 runs every day, for at least an hour.

We have two types of soil out here. Extra rocky, and heavy clay.

The 410 handles both with ease.

6. Hank Reardon

Would you still use it with new construction?

-Russ

7. Dirty Water

Sometimes. We have a Ditchwitch 3500 riding trencher that has a backfill blade. This puppy is quick when you don't care how the final product looks.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

OUCH! Us "trencher guys" should be offended. :laugh:

9. Beartooth

Beartooth LawnSite Member

I pull 90% of our jobs, wether they are in established lawns or new construction. I of course use poly. Have you ever tried to drop poly from a roll into open trenches?? It's a pain in the butt. I love my pipe plow!

10. Hank Reardon

Don't you have a lot of friction loss with the use of PE on the entire job?