1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pulling pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok guys I would like some detailed info on how ya pull tha pipe fer the irrigaton system. I don't want this to turn into which one is better. I want the steps that you go through to complete the job. What are some of the first steps you take when you pull up on the job? What are the types of materils that you use like pipe, PVC, plastic, tees, or saddles, how do you go from the main to the funny pipe. Do ya get what I want to know? Thanks Mark
  2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Here is what I use..keep in mind now that I work at the golf course I can only install irrigation on weekends or if I get off early on weekdays...I have completely given up commercial mowing besides what I'm doing right now.

100 PSI Rating Poly Pipe
    Dawn Saddle tees
    Toro funny pipe and fittings
    Ametek 10" and jumbo rectangular valve boxes
    Rainbird 100 DV Valves
    Watts 3/4" or 1" PVB
    Rainbird 1800 sprays (MPR Nozzles)
    Rainbird T-Bird, 5000, 5000 plus, 3500 Rotors
    Hunter PGP, 1-20 Rotors
    Rainbird ESP-LXi indoor controllers
    All wire installed was either 8 strand or 12 strand

Here in order is how I install systems (of course after designing):
    1.) Connect to mainline in house, add main shut off valve
    2.) Run the mainline to outside of house to where you connect it to PVB, which is right next to house.
    3.) Pull all pipe in except mainline
    4.) Run mainline from PVB to valve box(es)
    5.) Make the mainfold and connect with mainline.
    6.) Connect valves.
    7.) Connect the saddle tees,
    8.) Test out each zone manually with valves. Also flush the system at same time by running each zone for about 1-2 minutes
    9.) Connect heads and funny pipe
    10.) Wire to controller.
    11.) Test complete system automatically
    12.) If all goes correctly, cover valve or valve manifold with valvebox.
    13.) Fill in all areas (i.e. around heads, valveboxes)
    14.) Program controller to customer's yards settings, transpiration rates, soil type, ect.

Some of you may not agree how to install a system, but keep in mind this is how I do it. Everyone has different methods. If I missed anything, someone please point it out for me.
  3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Irritrol Cr 500 Rotors
    Toro 570 Z
    Blazing Saddle
    Funny pipe and Risers
    Irritrol 2400T valves
    Spears 1" Valve Manifold system
    Eagle green stripe pipe, 80 PSI, 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch ( polly pipe)
    Febco 1 inch PVB ( residential systems)
    Greenkeeper, Vision 2 or Total control controllers
    R and d Wireless rain sensor

We typically have a valve box hidden on the side of the house, just off fo where the PVB is, and then 1 in the center of the backyard.

1.We will pull the main line and wire We Always pull the main line first
    2. DIg big holes for the valve boxes.
    3.Make the valve manifold and then start from the valve box and pull out of the box into the zone. This allows us to line up the valves in the box perfectly with the pipe.
    4. Connect valves and make all tee connections
    5. Flush lines until the water tuns clear
    6. Change Nozzles inthe rotary heads for a matched precipitation rate and install.
    7. Install fixed spray heads with flush plugs, flush zone again and install nozzles.

8. Wire controller , rain sensor, bury valve boxes, test system ect.

9. Repair broken gas lines and phone lines ( just kidding)
  4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

You don't keep the flush plugs do you? I always throw them away.
  5. Mark B

Before you start the process of pulling the pipe do you trench out where the heads go so you want have to hand dig that part? I guess I'm trying to ask if you runnng the pipe parrell to a curb and you needed a head there would run the pipe off the curb about 12" or so then dig that 12" out so you can install the head? Same thing fer the valve boxes maybe? Pulling the plastic pipe do you use less 90's, tees I'm just guessing.
  6. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Yes, we throw them away. Not sure what else they would be good for
  7. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I am not totally clear as to what you are asking but I will try my best to answer.

We do not dig the holes for the heads before we pull the pipe. The vibratory plow loosens the soil pretty good and the digging is pretty easy.
    Sometimes we will cut a small trench where the valve boxes go and then pull through it. We do not want to dig the holes for the valve boxes too big at this point because then the wheels of the plow will just drop in when we pull the mainline in.

As much as we can, we try to feed each zone in the center, so we will usually use a tee for each zone. Because you can pull polly pipe through a curve, we do not use many 90's
  8. Mark B

I'm curious about doing a install pulling pipe. I have never seen or done it before. It sounds cool. It is real funny how different parts of the country do things I trench you pull I find that very amusing.
  9. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I agree.
    Try Pulling pipe instead of trencing. You will ike it, Much faster.
    If you can't find Polly pipe, no problem you can pull PVC also, Just glue a bunch of sticks together first and make sure you have the correct sized bullet
  10. Mark B

I can get either type of pipe. I have heard that if you use the poly thne you need some stainless clamps for the tees then you need carry a torch to heat up the poly pipe to get the tee on. But anyway I take it that you use the saddles instead of the tees. If you PVC what do you use when you install a head the saddles os glue tees. I was reading the new subject on pulling pipe and someone said that you can move the pipe by hand if your trick on the front is big enough. The trick that you connect the pipe to is what I'm talking about.