pulling plugs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Oct 2, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some pics of some nice plugs i pulled today. Man thats nice when the ground is moist. Thats a quarter in the pic.Just to give you some scale.Did it with a Lesco w/b core areater. Hard azz work man handling that thing around. But my pocket feels good.

Picture 089.jpg

2. good cores there darrin ...how many cores a sq foot that aerator pull do you know?

3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, nice. Um.. I did a few aerations half way through Sept. after 2 weeks of rain. I mean yes, we had a very dry summer but it was 2 weeks of almost constant rain so I figured I had the moisture. Some plugs were as big as that, one ladies lawn was so compacted it wouldnt even penetrate parts of it, in the rest the plugs were one inch. She says I aerated too early ,there wasnt enough moisture yet. I say she has the compacted lawn from hell. what do you say?

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

It was a Ryan walk behind and I did have the weights on it.

5. chefdrp

was it a pull behind? Cause a friend of mine rented a pull behind and i rented the w/b. And we shared. Anyway, The w/b had much better plugs pulled than the other. And it was weighted too.

6. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Im relatively new to all this, but this may seem like a dumb question but what are those plugs made of? Is it just compacted dirt or what?

Jason

7. Its soil little big of grass and thatch on the top .The tynes poke holes in the ground and then pull the soil up onto the surface

8. chefdrp

Odin. I did a quik check this morn before going out to do some more. It pulls like 14-16. it seems.

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

We use pull behind and w/b. The w/b is obviously tougher on the body, but the plugs are generally better, with less overall tearing. More tearing is sometimes better or may be less noticeable in a very large yard...then were going with the pull behind.

We just had a $1900 day. I love aeration. Good for the lawn, good for the wallet.