1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulling poly... what/who holds the roll?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jul 5, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

When you are pulling poly do you have a person holding/feeding the roll of poly? Or do you have a "spool" or something that holds the roll and lets it unroll freely unassisted?

If you have a mechanical spool holder, is it home-made or purchased? Any pics?
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

we call it being a pipe tosser. I always have a guy sometimes 2 when we pull inch and 1/2... as for this home made mechanical spool holder I would love to see any type of those pics...

3. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd also love to see someone's pipe holder.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You mean something like this:

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Five years ago, someone applied for a patent on this:

6. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Since a lot of time, I'm trying to do it all myself, I've taken and hooked poly onto the puller, then unrolled it out however far I need for the run. If you can, just unroll the whole roll. If space doesn't permit this, unroll and then bring the remainder of the roll back by the start in a big "U" shape.
    I've done this with 1 1/2" - 250' roll, a lot of work, but better than having to try and keep it from getting all tangled up.
    One note, when unrolling, unroll from the "outside" of the roll, otherwise you end up having a hassle as you roll it along the ground if you started with the inside "end".

Hope that makes sense ;)