1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulling Power of the Z turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by O P M, Aug 14, 2003.

1. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

I am wondering if anyone has had problems with premature hydro problems from pulling attachments?

I am looking to pull an aerator (200#), roller (500#), and sprayer (200#).

I am currently looking at a new Scag, Exmark, or Hustler but none of these dealers say much about pulling power. They all say it will work, but they are not convincing.
  2. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

My Dixie Chopper came from the factory with the hitch as standard equipment, not an option...It is rated to pull 2000 lbs. all day long.. The most important thing to remember is to run the motor at W.O.T. for oil circulation and cooling...
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you pull 2000lbs all day long with your dixe,it won't be around very long.don't care if the hitch came standard,it just aint mechanically designed for such adventures.
  4. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

most hydo motors are not rated to pull anything over 250 lbs . that dc may have a hitch rated at 2000 lbs but the hydros will burn up real quick with that kind of weight.

i use to pull with mine until i burned up a hydo - but that was my faught for areaateing 5 yards in a row with no break in between. no i use a garden tractor to do my pulling with.
  5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

nope non here..............
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

DC hydros are unlike any others. While the parts look similar the internals are heavily modified at the DC factory.

I towed an areator through 12 lawns with mine last year. I regularly tow my 1500 pound boat around my yard.

The warrantied tow limit is 2,000 pounds.
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to be pulling around alot of heavy equipment like the aerator, etc. you may want to invest in a 4-wheel atv. You can pick up a good used one for about half the price of your mower, and won't have to worry about damaging the machine that makes most of your money. Think about it, would you rather be waiting for the shop to repair your atv or your mower?
  8. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I screwed up a hydro on my Scag SSZ pulling a roller this spring.