1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pulling PVC

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Donald R. English, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Donald R. English

Donald R. English LawnSite Member

When pulling pcv pipe, how or what is the best way to install a T ?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I dig up the area for the T, and cut the PVC. Then I slide the pipe apart in the ground by force (or with a rubber mallet).

Glue the tee on one side, and then glue and slide the tee onto the other side. In pulls longer than 20-30 ft it helps to have a partner tap on the end of the pipe with a rubber mallet.

This is the old fashioned way to do it, but because I use SCH 40, its the way I do it.

Dawn makes a product called "Blazing Saddles", that snap onto the pipe and cut a hole, definitly quicker, but doesn't work on SCH 40 unless you drill the hole, so I stick to my method.

3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

could you also you use a slip fix?..requires a bit bigger hole, but a whole lot easier then trying to cut and glue for a T.

4. Donald R. English

Donald R. English LawnSite Member

I've been using slip fixes, but I was wondering what others were using.
    slip-fixes are kind of high priced.

5. Dirty Water

Slipfix for every head?

Your kidding me. :dizzy:

A rubbet mallet moves pulled pipe like butter. Glue one end in its fitting or valve, and then slide it the opposite direction as you install each head until you get to the last head.

If you are connecting two pulled lines with a T then cut and flex the pipe onto the tee for two of the glue joints (You can do this with a 90 too, I've done it up to 3") and tap the last one in with a mallet.

If I have nobody with me and I need to install a long lateral line I dig up each head and cut the pipe into sections, this means your only trying to slide 20 or so feet at a time and you can easily do it by hand.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This plowing stuff sounds tougher all the time. :laugh:

7. Dirty Water

When you factor in 98% less backfilling, it sounds a lot better.

8. PurpHaze

Yeah... But not having to carry a rubber mallet is one less tool I have to worry about. :laugh:

9. Dirty Water

If your in a pickle your forehead works pretty well too. :hammerhead:

10. PurpHaze

That'd knock me out, I'd be laying on the ground and then Sheshovel would be laughing at me. :dancing: