Pulling PVC

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rainman7, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I'm doing a commercial job that requires it to be done in all PVC (1.5 & 2"). The head spacing will be 60'.

The question for you PVC people is, do you find it easier to pull the PVC or trench it? I will be trenching the main and wires, but what about the heads?

Thanks,
    Ray

2. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i would pull it if possible. less mess. i pull pvc everyday. make sure you have a large bullet.

3. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Did a very large job like that in ohio in 98 we had a 4" main, 2 1/2" after the valve to 2" down to 1 1/2" all pvc and it worked out so much better that we pulled it, we also did the 60' spacing for the 2001 toro rotors.

Just make sure you be careful with the pipe lengths, pulling can be a big time waste of pipe, we pulled it with a case 360 and we glued the pipe the night before and while we were pulling we dropped the trencher and trenched out for the heads and swings. Also, when you pull have some guys behind you ready to "pound" the heads together because you don't want the ground settling overnight.

Have Fun !!

4. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I just pulled a few hundred ft of pvc with a mini bobcat with a vibratory plow of the front end it worked out really well, very little mess and it went super fast.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've only pulled PVC, it works great.

Be warned though, your need a big plow to pull 2".

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Just curious... what sprinkler and nozzle?

7. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I-25 w/ #20 nozzle. The pump puts out 300gpm @ 100psi. so I need to use some water.

The plow is a DW 410. I have pulled 2" poly with it before but never PVC. What grip do you find better? Chinese finger type or those socket type grips?

Thanks

8. PurpHaze

I'm a trencher guy myself. I was just curious about how the thing is designed, what with 60' spacings (indicating larger sprinklers) and it seems that you're pulling just 1-1/2" and 2" pipe.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Uh, 300 GPM through 2"?

Is this magic 2" or are you are splitting up ten ways immediately out of the pump?

I've pulled 2" with a 410. You need a long start trench to get the pipe to a good depth, and a tow behind bullet.

I've always had better luck with the chinese finger grips, but the ones that fit 2" pipe are around 3' long, so you need a long ending hole.

10. PurpHaze

Dammit Jon! You're ruining my fun. :laugh: