1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pulling Shrubs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QC Lawn Services, Dec 6, 2004.

1. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I am putting together an estimate for a customer for pulling some shrubs and replacing with some others that she wants. These shrubs are not small, the diameter of the largest trunk is probably 5-6". What would be the best way to remove them?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

How many? Do you have unfettered access to the yard where the shrubs are located? We have a good business relationship with a tree co. here in town, and they do alot of our removals and grinding. They are set up way more efficiently to handle disposal for us. I still make about 20%, and my sites are ready to go when we pull up to install. Something to think about..
  3. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

The shrubs are located in the front of a business on either side of a doorway. There are 4 shrubs that need to be removed. They do not have a sprinkler system that I have to worry about, but there are some drain clean outs for the sewer system that are in one of the beds.

No, I have not estalished a relationship with a tree company. This is my first time that I have been asked to remove some older shrubs.
  4. impactlandscaping

Are these shrubs some kind of cedar or arborvitae?
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I usually limb them leaving the schrub as tall as possible and then I dig around the base[with shoval]the more dirt you remove the easier the job will be. I then us a polaski [pick ax] and chop the roots at the trunk and at the edge of the hole you dug. You can rock the trunk to see where major roots are hanging on. I usually go around and round with the ax and shoval until I can push on the trunk and get good movement. At this point If I can get a truck near without causing any visible damage they will pop easily with a chain wraped around the top so pulling breaks the tap root. If I can't get the truck near I try to climb the schrub so I can rock it. If it won't come more digging, more axing. This is hard work , bid accordingly.

If while bidding you push on the tree/schrub and get no movement of the trunk you can anticipate a tough job.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Mini X, hydraulic thumb.

Those are big shrubs, and near an entry? Be careful not to damage concrete walk, or even worse, pull up buried electrical.

7. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

remove limbs as far back as you can with loppers or small saw. Grind whats left with small stump grinder. Did two dozen this spring that were all 4' tall in about 3 hours loaded and cleared. Made $480. No sweating involved.
  8. impactlandscaping

What Mark said..I would be very leery of the complications of cracks and subterranean damages near a doorway/sidewalk.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Just did a couple next to the foundation of a House.
    First thing I did was call LOCATE and have them mark all power, sewer, cable and any other lines/pipes in area. Luckilly none were there but at least I knew what to bid or even if I wanted to bid.
    I cut bush to 2 foot tall. then trimmed all branches coming off to 6" in length.
    Dug a little around them and then tied chain to trunk ( this is where the 6" length of branches come in handy keeping the chain from slipping off).
    got my handy man out, provided a good base to set it on and started lifting away. Most the time you will get all major feeder roots and all that is left is small roots that pose no problem to plant in.
    You can usually do 1 ever half hour give or take how close to house or structure they are.
  10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Again, or you could do one in three or four minutes with a stump grinder. Why do some continually use large trucks which is obviously much more dangerous when all you need is a little grinder. Another plus is that there is much less to carry off when you are done.