Pulling some 40 + year old Yew Bushes, Advice?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by merrimacmill, Apr 13, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

This comming week, we're going to be pulling some 40+ year old yew bushes. Or atleast thats what they look like to me. Theres about 10 of them all in a line so it looks like this one huge, solid rectangle of bushes about 30 feet long.

They're starting to die, and the homeowner wants them gone. My plan was to call dig safe, cut them down at the base, cut them into smaller pieces and haul them off. Then bring in my tractor with the pallet forks on and see how I can do ripping the stumps out. The thing is I have a really good feeling it will be a lot harder to get those stumps out than I'm thinking it will be. So my question, how far do the yew bush roots go? Will I have to much of a problem? And What do I do if a water, sewer, or gas line goes right underneath a bush? (I'm pretty sure atleast the water line does)

2. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

don't ever cut the root flush, leave enough root so you can do some pulling with, dig aorund the base with a shovel or pick, cut the roots and you may need a pry bar and it should come right out, if theres any kind of sewer or gas line i wouldnt even touch it

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Water lines are below the frost line. Here in WI that is 4' deep. I would think in MA that would be a minimum of 2' probably more. If water or gas is indicated under the shrubs hand dig down 2' in a couple of spots to see if it is near the surface. You could use a stump grinder on them. Then you would only go down 1' at the most.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

It might be worth hiring a backhoe. Tractor's palette form may just tilt with you. Give the tractor to pull with log chain. I had to do that once with some type of rotunda hollys that were not that old. We still maintain that property and one or two of those things still have a twig every now and then sprouting from an old piece of left behind root. If I had to do it all over. I'd hire the backhoe.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

For jobs like that I just have my tree guy come in and chain saw them down and stump grind them. It's gets rid of any under ground roots and the soil is ready for any other planting or seeding.

6. merrimacmill

What do tree guys get for grinding small bush stumps?

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

my guy might charge 50 bucks .try and get hooked up with a small local guy maybe willing to work with you.plus I pass stuff off to him so it works out for both of us

8. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Cap Yews and Densiformas Yews are not that hard to pull up no matter how old they are with a machine. Hicks Yews however have tap roots that have been known to go all the way to the earths core(just kidding, but they do go deep and are VERY strong). Dense Yews are very hardy here in Tn. and have been known to come back after cutting down. I'm not sure about grinding the stump. I couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't come back. I'm just not sure.

9. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

They may give you a flat price but usually it's estimated by the inch (diameter of the hole not the tree DBH). For a straight forward job, probably looking at a ball park of $2-$5 an inch. When I was working for a tree service and had to sub out grinding I would be in the $6-$10/in range.

I would try a stump grinding only service first rather than a tree service. The only reason being that tree services often have a guy they pull off the tree crew to do stumps. If they're busy sometimes you can get put on the back burner because they want to get their own work done first.

10. merrimacmill

Ya, the stumps will be pretty small. Probibly around 3 -4 inches in diameter. Either way, I'll cut them down and haul them. Odds are a tree service will have to come in anyways, since there is a large maple tree stump inside the bushes. I didn't notice it untill further inspection of the job. I don't really think its to rotted either. I'm planning on getting into this this week. So I'll let you guys know how it goes. Take some pictures too.