Pulling up shrubs

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sancho_man_orlando, Aug 2, 2006.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants over 20 shrubs pulled out and hauled off. 2 questions...

1 how do I do that? With a shovel and loppers? or with a bobcat as someone suggested? They're all about 5 feet tall and have been there for years.

2. How do I charge for this?

2. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

bobcat or backhoe. you will kill yourself (or want to kill yourself afterwards) if you do it with a shovel. you could cut them off at the ground and then grind the stumps and roots out and remove the mulch and fill in with dirt.

3. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

Do you need any special license to rent a backhoe?

In your area what would one cost for the day?

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tree guy he'll cut them down grind the stumps and chip the shrubs. You do that also add a little to the bill and stand and watch.

5. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

1. I don't know if i missed something, but If it's just shrubs even if they're 5 ft tall. I don't think you have to worry about a stump or make it a big deal. and if it's not really rocky on the spot you could just dig around it hit the root with an ax as you find them. a back hoe i think is over kill.(that's just me, don't get me wrong)
    2. You should charge it by hour that you think you're gonna be able to knock it down and give and allowance on doing so because you really don't know the exact time to pull one out. I should say 25% that's give and take>

6. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

it depends on how old the plants are. if their a year or two old, then digging em out with a shovel wouldnt be hard. but if their five, ten years old+, you aint gonna be able to use a shovel. grinding it out seems to be your best move.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know what your labor resources are, but I have Amigo power. A good heavy spade and a double sided axe and I would take it on. But thats me. A chain saw and a stump grinder will work just fine, if not make a bit of a mess.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a truck? I've pulled out TREE stumps with my parents' Chevy Suburban without too much trouble. Just cut off most of the branches, then hook up a heavy duty tow chain to the hitch receiver and around the base of the branches (by root ball), and PULL...should work fine if the ground isn't too wet, and you'll have less turf damage compared to using a bobcat or backhoe.

9. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

I disagree with mkwl. I used to use a truck before I got my bobcat for shrubs I couldn't dig or cut out. It is hard on a truck, and hard on the lawn. It pulls them out at an angle and is a very dangerous way to do it. You are also greatly increasing your risk of damage to the house windows/siding/foundation if the chain or tow rope snaps and slings back. Also risk of major injury to driver or those close by, and/or damage to the vehicle if it comes back toward the truck pulling them out. I use a bobcat with the forks and pop them up. This is only on ones I have already attempted to dig and pull out. How much time and how hard it is to pull them out also depends upon what type of shrubs they are and what kind of root system they have.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What he said.^

I use a tractor with a backhoe. Chains are dangerous if they break, chains don't give any warning when they break. If you are going to use a truck, ALWAYS use a strap or a rope.